PC shuts down at random while playing games

Jul 22, 2018
I've seen quite a lot of threads with the same problem as mine, but none worked for me and hoped for some personal help.

So, two days ago I bought new components, built the pc, and literally started playing ( ofc I downloaded all the drivers needed ). Four hours in and my pc shuts off at random ( was playing random games, nothing too heavy for my pc to handle. Since then I get to play max 1 and half hours at once.

When pc is idle, let's say listening to music on youtube or just browsing on Facebook I'm all good. I double-checked the thermal paste, temperatures are running smooth ( GPU under 60 while playing, CPU under 50 while playing and MoBo under 40 while playing). There also cannot be any dust because the rig is 2 days old. That literally means nothing can overheat. I've noticed that when the pc shuts down, all the lights in the case ( fans, gpu, cooler ) shut down aswell, but MoBo's light stays on and I cannot start my pc until the MoBo light is out ( figured that the fastest way to get it out is to unplug psu cable and reconnect it as soon as mobo's light is out ) then I get to play another 30 mins and the same thing happens ( pause between restart is about 20 sec so pc couldn't possibly cool down that fast even if it was overheating issue ).

All of the components game out of the box, weren't used before, so it's kinda unlikely that I got "bad" part. I also tried downclocking my gpu and maxing the fans so I would stay at 30 degrees ( didin't help ) and I tried putting my cpu performance on 50% ( didin't help either ).

My apologize for my bad english, I'm not a native, but a fellow gamer in need of help :)

[Note: Moderator edited post to break up a long paragraph.]

MoBo: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3
CPU: i3-8100
Cooling: Coolermaster Masterliquid lite 120
GPU: GeForce® GTX 1070 GameRock
RAM: 8gb 2400mhz
SSD: intel 256gb ssd
PSU: CORSAIR PSU Corsair VS Builder seeria VS550 550W, 120mm, 80 PLUS

Solution
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

Since your temps are within reason, it's the PSU who is acting up. Also, do note that Corsair VS-series is low quality PSU and worst offered by Corsair. I won't even use that PSU to power office PC without a GPU, let alone a gaming PC.

To fix your issue, buy a new, good quality PSU. For your build, any Seasonic PSU in 500W range will do just fine, e.g: M12II-520 EVO, G-550, Focus 550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,DPCwrH,bkp323,KmgzK8/

Focus and Focus+ are the newest...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

Since your temps are within reason, it's the PSU who is acting up. Also, do note that Corsair VS-series is low quality PSU and worst offered by Corsair. I won't even use that PSU to power office PC without a GPU, let alone a gaming PC.

To fix your issue, buy a new, good quality PSU. For your build, any Seasonic PSU in 500W range will do just fine, e.g: M12II-520 EVO, G-550, Focus 550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,DPCwrH,bkp323,KmgzK8/

Focus and Focus+ are the newest PSU lines from Seasonic and they come with 10 years of OEM warranty. G and M12II EVO series PSUs come with 5 years of OEM warranty.
All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Solution
You need to replace the power supply before you kill expensive components in your PC.

I agree that this sounds like a power supply problem. The power supply is the most important component of a computer and is something unknown to most people. Many Seasonic power supplies are very good.

Here is a link to some power supplies, purchase one from a vendor selling them for the least amount of money.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%2050001459%2050001697%20600479295%20600037997%20600037998%204814&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

jonnyGURU.COM is the best power supply reviewer, pick one that is recommended by him.

By the way, I noticed that you have not picked anyone's comment as a solution. You need to do that to reward whomever helped you the most, and to help others that have the same issue as you do.

I started my career in the computer business in the early 1980s, so I have a lot of education and experience behind me. I make that statement in case you need some form of validation of my comment and not to invalidate comments made before mine.