[SOLVED] Pc shuts down at random

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nem95

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Not sure if it’s linked to power supply but my pc has been shutting itself down at random and I dunno how to work out what the problem is as I know there could be many factors

Solution
I have crystaldisk downloaded and it is saying caution on the one hardrive in yellow and it’s yellow on REALLOCATED SECTORS COUNT could this have anything to do with the system shutting off at all and does this mean I need a new hardrive ?
Uninstall the Corsair iCUE software let me know of that stops it. My PC has started shutting down at random and when I removed the software it stopped. OK goto the installation folder and find the vc_redist. x86 file and install it from there. Should fix the issue

Nem95

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Please post specs ?

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C15 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit

Corsair CW-9060031-WW Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler - Black

Corsair CC-9011098-WW 3 x 120 mm Crystal Series 570X RGB Mid Tower Computer Chassis - Black

Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Unit - Black

ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Tuf Plus Gaming D4 ATX Motherboard - Black

SAPPHIRE RADEON RX5700 XT 8GB 21293-01-40G

Seagate barracuda 300gb
Seagate barracuda 80gb

Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Jun 20, 2020
I have a corsair cx750m PSU, which is terrible, and was experiencing similar shutdowns. I have an i7-9700k at 4.7ghz, rtx 2070 and corsair vengeance ram at 3.2ghz. PC would work perfectly, no issues AT ALL and then randomly boom! Full power off, followed by a restart. The issue ended up being that, for whatever reason, the automatic voltage control on my MSI mobo was not stable. SO I used a static overclock (not auto) and static voltage. It should be noted that I put slightly more voltage than was required for some at 4.7ghz. I also made sure my ring ratio was optimal, which for some reason it was NOT (was higher than processor clock speed). I lowered my graphics card overclock as well because it crashed 3 weeks after I applied the aforementioned BIOS fix. It has been a month so far, no crashes, gaming great. Hopefully you figure it out. This forum helped massively, even though most threads blamed the PSU, thankfully that wasn't the case.

Reactions: AntonTokar

Nem95

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
It’s definitely not the psu as wasted money on a new one and it’s done the same thing freeze and then shut down it ran for about 50 mins before shutting down unfortunately I’m not very smart when it comes to pcs as wouldn’t know what to try next

Jun 20, 2020
Test ram. Once you’ve ruled out the ram and any memory errors, check your BIOS. Seriously. Update your BIOS. Make sure the CPU voltages and clocks are stable. Remove any “auto” settings on cpu voltages and clocks and replace with the correct stock voltage/clock. Check for crashes again. It could easily be that the automatic setting on that mobo isn’t providing stable voltages to that processor regardless of the power supply. After you’ve done all that, and the computer is still rebooting, update your graphics drivers and check for crashes with and without the graphics card.

Last edited:

Nem95

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Ram tested I used memtest 86 no issues with any sticks I suppose next step to test updating bios and check voltages being stable if the fails take the gpu out as suggested by vic 40

Nem95

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Ram tested I used
Test ram. Once you’ve ruled out the ram and any memory errors, check your BIOS. Seriously. Update your BIOS. Make sure the CPU voltages and clocks are stable. Remove any “auto” settings on cpu voltages and clocks and replace with the correct stock voltage/clock. Check for crashes again. It could easily be that the automatic setting on that mobo isn’t providing stable voltages to that processor regardless of the power supply. After you’ve done all that, and the computer is still rebooting, update your graphics drivers and check for crashes with and without the graphics card.

How will I know what to turn off from auto and what setting to put on instead of auto Iv updated bios and it still shuts down and how do I know it’s at a steady voltage as I’m not very good with checking all this stuff out 😅

I have a corsair cx750m PSU, which is terrible, and was experiencing similar shutdowns. I have an i7-9700k at 4.7ghz, rtx 2070 and corsair vengeance ram at 3.2ghz. PC would work perfectly, no issues AT ALL and then randomly boom! Full power off, followed by a restart. The issue ended up being that, for whatever reason, the automatic voltage control on my MSI mobo was not stable. SO I used a static overclock (not auto) and static voltage. It should be noted that I put slightly more voltage than was required for some at 4.7ghz. I also made sure my ring ratio was optimal, which for some reason it was NOT (was higher than processor clock speed). I lowered my graphics card overclock as well because it crashed 3 weeks after I applied the aforementioned BIOS fix. It has been a month so far, no crashes, gaming great. Hopefully you figure it out. This forum helped massively, even though most threads blamed the PSU, thankfully that wasn't the case.

That does not sound like a PSU issue. Did you replace the PSU and the problems went away?

And in what alternate dimension are there people saying that the CX750M is a terrible PSU?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That does not sound like a PSU issue. Did you replace the PSU and the problems went away?

And in what alternate dimension are there people saying that the CX750M is a terrible PSU?
Not the OP but someone with similar problem who wanted to tell how he solved his problems and maybe help the OP with it and if you've read all does he say it wasn't the psu in his case.

The issue ended up being that, for whatever reason, the automatic voltage control on my MSI mobo was not stable. SO I used a static overclock (not auto) and static voltage. It should be noted that I put slightly more voltage than was required for some at 4.7ghz. I also made sure my ring ratio was optimal, which for some reason it was NOT (was higher than processor clock speed). I lowered my graphics card overclock as well because it crashed 3 weeks after I applied the aforementioned BIOS fix. It has been a month so far, no crashes, gaming great. Hopefully you figure it out. This forum helped massively, even though most threads blamed the PSU, thankfully that wasn't the case.

Currently trying my old gpu in it and going to see if it stays on as think the amd drivers could be the problem as seeing others experience similar problems
Hope for you this will give a solution or at least some insight in the problem.

Not the OP but someone with similar problem who wanted to tell how he solved his problems and maybe help the OP with it and if you've read all does he say it wasn't the psu in his case.

I know. But he never really even said that he found out the PSU was actually the problem! So how does that help?

He says, "PSU is garbage. Everyone told me it was garbage. I did a bunch of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the PSU and now it works."

Come on.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I know. But he never really even said that he found out the PSU was actually the problem! So how does that help?
Basically does he say that his motherboard was the problem not the psu. Thinks he wants to let the OP know that manually setting voltages and some other things (ring ratio he mentiones) might help.

He says, "PSU is garbage. Everyone told me it was garbage.
Why he says his psu is "terrible" i don't know. Maybe he has read alot of old threads here or someone told him in his own thread (which i guess he had). In some of the old threads from the time the CX was stil green/black the psu got blamed. Whether that was right or wrong is another thing.

We are kinda getting this thread of topic since he is not the OP, if you want to know what he meant maybe PM him?

The OP has a VS650 with an RX 5700XT+ i5 8600K, maybe not the right choice of psu for it although it is technically powerfull enough. Still not sure though if this might be the problem for him, might be as well motherboard. Always hard to say without swapping parts.

Nem95

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Update doesn’t matter if the gpu is out as I put old one in and it stayed on for a while now it’s shut it’s self down probs going to have to take it to a professional to look at it as I’m out of ideas

Update doesn’t matter if the gpu is out as I put old one in and it stayed on for a while now it’s shut it’s self down probs going to have to take it to a professional to look at it as I’m out of ideas

A professional is going to cost more than a new PSU.

If it's shutting down, it's probably the PSU.

How old is the VS PSU? You didn't list the part number for it.

Is it this one: https://images.frys.com/art/product/big/9510702.01.big.jpg

Or this one: https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/CP-9020172-NA-VS650_PSU_01.png

Nem95

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
A professional is going to cost more than a new PSU.

If it's shutting down, it's probably the PSU.

How old is the VS PSU? You didn't list the part number for it.

Is it this one: https://images.frys.com/art/product/big/9510702.01.big.jpg

Or this one: https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/CP-9020172-NA-VS650_PSU_01.png
The psu I replaced is the second one which is not in the system now I’m using a different one now which is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01H78DL76?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Status
Not open for further replies.