PC shuts down automatically while gaming

Aliraburst

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
Hi fellow gamers!...Sorry for typos in advance as english is not my native language......

So my problem is that while playing Lego Marvels Avengers on my pc, my pc shuts down without warning and there isnt any writing or sign on the screen like "Shutting Down" like the one when you click shutdown...the shut down is like a sudden blackscreen and a total shutdown just like someone pulled the power cord. My pc specs are:-

Processor. .. Intel core i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz
RAM .... 4GB
System .... 64bit
Graphics Card......msi AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 OC edition
Motherboard:- Asus H81M-E
Power Supply.... Corsair GS600

I had the same situation 3 weeks ago but when i cleaned my cpu with a dust blower the issue resolved and now its back again. And please note that it is NOT a reboot but a SHUTDOWN. Also when i plug my power cable into the wall socket, the socket sparks from inside the wall and i tried the power cord on 2 other sockets and they do the same but they dont spark from other appliances. I one recieved a brief shock from touching my pc case while adjusting the power cord. Please solve my problem and also my power cord is a little thick and when i tried to use a thinner power cord with it, my pc buzzed and the thin cord got burnt. Solution please.....

JustifyHerko

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Can you give me your Temps?

this issue could be because of your temps of the GPU/CPU?

Use software to tell us your temps

For CPU temps use Core Temp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
For GPU temps use GPU Temp: http://www.gputemp.com/

Cheers

There is no way that a thinner cord should get burnt, that would not draw enough power normally to cause any kind of problem. You are probably look at 2amps from a 120V socket maximum.

You could have a PSU fault growing, you may have not used standoffs and are miraculously getting away with it.

Aliraburst

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015

Ok so after installing what do i do...do i just open and start them in the background while i game?
And if the pc shuts down then will these apps show me the temps at the time when the pc shuts down...

Aliraburst

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
Ok ill post the results soon. I would also quote that the shut down issue has NEVER EVER happened to me from past 2 years since i bought my pc. It just suddenly started happening when i play my game LEGO MARVELS AVENGERS and i have ran many games heavier than them but this has never happened

Aliraburst

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
I recorded the temperatures but i couldn't find any screenshot option in the apps so ill post them manually here. So, these were the results when the my pc turned off :-
(P.S:- i dont know whether the're good or bad so please explain them)

Lithography:- 22rm
TDP:- 54 watts

Processor #0 Temperature Readings:-

Tj.Max:- 100°C
Power:- 14.3 watts
Core #0:- 48°C (Min:- 35°C, Max:- 59°C, Load:- 20%)
Core #1:- 50°C (Min:- 34°C, Max:- 57°C, Load:- 26%)

GPU Temperatures:-

GPU Core:- 103°C (Also note that 2-3 secs before shut down these readings became dashes)
GPU Load:- 100%

JustifyHerko

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
wow! Thats abit warm, It probably cuts off because the system knows that once the gpu goes over a certain temp it will shut itself down so that it does not damage anything on the system (Same as the cpu, I'm sure)

And 100% Load? wow!

Good so we have nothing sitting there consuming GPU resources that shouldn't be.

Using afterburner or precision X check the fan profile and fan speeds, and make the fan profile more aggressive so that by 80C it is at 100%, we'll back that off later if it works.

Other possibilities, very very poor airflow in the case
The GPU fan is not working

Aliraburst

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
13thmonkey so ive installed afterburner but i am a little skeptical whether my misconfiguration of the fan speed would damage my card or system. Can you give me a more specific reading so that i know what im doing because i am inexperienced in overclocking and the sorts. Also my default fan speed is 24. Please tell me exactly what option i need to change because there are some very confusing doodads in the afterburner app.

Increase the fan speed to 100%and see what happens. If that's OK then we'll figure out how to map a decent profile. BUT the default profile should be ok and should ramp appropriately, so I'm not sure why it's happening.

Aliraburst

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
Ok so i increased the fan speed to 100% but i was only able to play 10 minutes more than the original time of 8 minutes before the shutdown....i saw the gpu temp rising steadily till 103 C and the pc tirned off...

OK, so that's a bit better, what was the fan speed in RPM? should be 3000ish or higher.

It sounds to me like the cooling solution (Heatsink, fan, shroud etc.) is no longer making good enough contact with the GPU chip itself. Or the fan is not working at full speed, Or the heatisnk vanes are full of dust etc.

I don't believe that case airflow would be an issue, as even starved of air it would do better than that.

So your fan is broke. Try, carefully, nudging it to start it spinning. Very very very carefully with something non conductive, wooden spoon?

Aliraburst

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
Ok so i nudged the gpu fan (which was stopped) a little and IT HAS STARTED SPINNING!!...i dont know why it did stop though? And also is everything gonna be allright now and will the gpu temp be normal and no shutdowns?