[SOLVED] PC shuts down completely during game

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Hi all, pretty new here.

I have a problem that developed recently where my PC shuts down suddenly and completely during a game. I've never has this happen, its literally only happened while playing Tetris Effect, no other games have triggered this. I normally dont consider myself as playing alot of intensive games, but maybe these are more intensive then I thought. Pretty much at the top of most played and intensive games, you would have Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Coaster, and Subnautica. I also play Rocket League and Two Point Hospital, but those dont seem very intense where system resources are concerned. But I really have only has this happen this week, and only with Tetris Effect. Initially I was playing TE on ultra settings, but turned them down to high, and I'm not sure if its important, but the PC has shut down only on the final level, where the particle effects seem to be unusually heavy. Additionally, we've had quite the heat wave this week (same week that TE came out, so I cant really compare during cold weather), along with very high humidity, so I can only assume thats also a factor. Now when I'm playing TE, I had shut downs while playing on the high settings, then I turned them down to medium, which seemed to last longer, but did have a shut down, then turned down to low, and never got a shut down on low settings.

This morning I ran the CPU, GPU, and PSU stress test in OCCT, each for 30 min, all were normal. CPU temps hovered around 57c, GPU at about 88c. After the tests, I playedthe final level on TE on low settings, completed it, and turned the settings back to high and played the first three levels, no problem. I checked temps again in HWiNFO64, and CPU was around 55c, and GPU got up to 91c, which did seem high to me.

In googling for info, I've seen alot of talk about the power supply being the problem, but when using power supply calulator, it doesnt seem to indicate that I'm underpowered. My specs are as follows:

Ryzen 5 1400, with Arctic Freezer 13 CO mounted
RX 580 4gb
MSI B350M
EVGA 650w G2

Everything is stock setting, never overclocked.

Please let me know if I messed something on specs.

As far as the stress tests go, should I run them longer? I wasnt sure if 30 min was enough to perhaps produce and error. Also, while I poking around the bios, I noticed that the system power fault protection is disabled. Should I enable this?

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

In googling for info, I've seen alot of talk about the power supply being the problem, but when using power supply calulator, it doesnt seem to indicate that I'm underpowered.
The overall wattage isn't what powers your GPU, technically it's only the 12V rails, the PSU wattage calculators are just a way of making it simple, but isn't technically reflective.

Quality of the power supply and stability of the output is just as important as quantity. It's why on the forums we preach so much about poor quality or cheap power supplies being avoided. Now the G2 series is a pretty good series of PSU, how long have you had it?

Typically if there are random shutdowns with no other symptoms, your first...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

In googling for info, I've seen alot of talk about the power supply being the problem, but when using power supply calulator, it doesnt seem to indicate that I'm underpowered.
The overall wattage isn't what powers your GPU, technically it's only the 12V rails, the PSU wattage calculators are just a way of making it simple, but isn't technically reflective.

Quality of the power supply and stability of the output is just as important as quantity. It's why on the forums we preach so much about poor quality or cheap power supplies being avoided. Now the G2 series is a pretty good series of PSU, how long have you had it?

Typically if there are random shutdowns with no other symptoms, your first ports of call would be PSU, GPU, or the Outlet/UPS you are using. If your GPU temp is high, it could well be causing the issue.

Also, did you monitor individual core temperatures of the CPU, not just the overall package?

To clarify, is it still shutting down or did it just occur the once?

Solution

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Thank you for the reply!

I've had the power supply just under 1 year. The computer is a cyberpower PC, it came with a evga 450 bronze, I upgraded because I read alot about prebuilt systems skimping on a good PSU.

Also, did you monitor individual core temperatures of the CPU, not just the overall package?
I did not monitor individual core temps, but will look is HWiNFO64 for the option. I didnt see it, but currently am not in a position to do so.

To clarify, is it still shutting down or did it just occur the once?
It might sound weird or stupid, but this has happened 4 times, only while playing the final level of Tetris Effect. Got through the whole game on ultra and high settings, but just the last level, where things are quite visually intense. It shut down three times on high settings, and once on medium setting, never on low. The game came out this week, which coincided with a heat wave locally. The first time it shut down, I though it was CPU temps, but mine actually seem quite within the normal range. So to answer you question more specifically, I'm pretty sure I could recreate the shutdown playing TE, it seems consistent enough, but have not had this happen on any other game. I loaded up Planet Coaster and just sort of let it do its thing and walked away. Fans ramped up like they normally do, but no shut down or odd behavior.

Typically if there are random shutdowns with no other symptoms, your first ports of call would be PSU, GPU, or the Outlet/UPS you are using. If your GPU temp is high, it could well be causing the issue.
Would a longer GPU stress test be in order? I only did 30 minutes this last time.

Thanks again for the reply.

Jul 28, 2019
Hi all, pretty new here.

I have a problem that developed recently where my PC shuts down suddenly and completely during a game. I've never has this happen, its literally only happened while playing Tetris Effect, no other games have triggered this. I normally dont consider myself as playing alot of intensive games, but maybe these are more intensive then I thought. Pretty much at the top of most played and intensive games, you would have Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Coaster, and Subnautica. I also play Rocket League and Two Point Hospital, but those dont seem very intense where system resources are concerned. But I really have only has this happen this week, and only with Tetris Effect. Initially I was playing TE on ultra settings, but turned them down to high, and I'm not sure if its important, but the PC has shut down only on the final level, where the particle effects seem to be unusually heavy. Additionally, we've had quite the heat wave this week (same week that TE came out, so I cant really compare during cold weather), along with very high humidity, so I can only assume thats also a factor. Now when I'm playing TE, I had shut downs while playing on the high settings, then I turned them down to medium, which seemed to last longer, but did have a shut down, then turned down to low, and never got a shut down on low settings.

This morning I ran the CPU, GPU, and PSU stress test in OCCT, each for 30 min, all were normal. CPU temps hovered around 57c, GPU at about 88c. After the tests, I playedthe final level on TE on low settings, completed it, and turned the settings back to high and played the first three levels, no problem. I checked temps again in HWiNFO64, and CPU was around 55c, and GPU got up to 91c, which did seem high to me.

In googling for info, I've seen alot of talk about the power supply being the problem, but when using power supply calulator, it doesnt seem to indicate that I'm underpowered. My specs are as follows:

Ryzen 5 1400, with Arctic Freezer 13 CO mounted
RX 580 4gb
MSI B350M
EVGA 650w G2

Everything is stock setting, never overclocked.

Please let me know if I messed something on specs.

As far as the stress tests go, should I run them longer? I wasnt sure if 30 min was enough to perhaps produce and error. Also, while I poking around the bios, I noticed that the system power fault protection is disabled. Should I enable this?

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!
Can you try with another power supply?

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Can you try with another power supply?
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do so, I wish I was.

Not much of an update, but I did do a 90 min GPU test in OCCT, ended fine, temps maxed out at 90c, seems hot, but no shut down. I played TE a little more yesterday, the weather was still warm, but not quite as hot as the first time the shut down happened, and no shut down, but I was afirad to go longer. I'm just a but hesitant to keep triggering these. I may wait until the weather cools down a bit more, then just leave the level running. We'll see, thank you for the input.

Jul 28, 2019
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do so, I wish I was.

Not much of an update, but I did do a 90 min GPU test in OCCT, ended fine, temps maxed out at 90c, seems hot, but no shut down. I played TE a little more yesterday, the weather was still warm, but not quite as hot as the first time the shut down happened, and no shut down, but I was afirad to go longer. I'm just a but hesitant to keep triggering these. I may wait until the weather cools down a bit more, then just leave the level running. We'll see, thank you for the input.
Did buy that gpu from a miner? 90c is really hot also which rx 580 brand do you have? Check your gpu fans maybe one is working dying or only 1 is working.

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Did buy that gpu from a miner? 90c is really hot also which rx 580 brand do you have? Check your gpu fans maybe one is working dying or only 1 is working.

No, the gpu came with the machine. It was a prebuilt machine I purchased from Best Buy a little over a year ago, a CyberPower PC. I've made a few minor additions to it, new fans, another ram stick, ssd, new psu, etc. The gpu is MSI. From the googling I did, it seems that the MSI 580's have a bit of a problem running hot. In the last two days, the weather has cooled a bit, I haven't had any more shut downs. I also just had a look at AMD Wattman. I set a fan curve higher, played Tetris Effect, and my max temp was 85c this time around, with an average of 71c. So I assume its a heating issue, I guess I should to be more cognizant of the temps the hot weather brings in then I thought I needed to be. When this all started and I saw the temps on the GPU, I suspected a dead fan, but they both are working.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
another ram stick
So you are also used mixed modules? If so, this COULD be cause for instability. But as I said in my first posts, temperatures sooner seemed the issue.

Yes ambient temperature is incredibly important, the components are made and designed at regulated temperatures, so every degree you are over design temperature, you'll be a degree hotter.

And 90 degrees could be a cause for shut down especially if it goes over this at peak loads. May be worth seeing if the issue repeats now temps have cooled.

Jul 28, 2019
No, the gpu came with the machine. It was a prebuilt machine I purchased from Best Buy a little over a year ago, a CyberPower PC. I've made a few minor additions to it, new fans, another ram stick, ssd, new psu, etc. The gpu is MSI. From the googling I did, it seems that the MSI 580's have a bit of a problem running hot. In the last two days, the weather has cooled a bit, I haven't had any more shut downs. I also just had a look at AMD Wattman. I set a fan curve higher, played Tetris Effect, and my max temp was 85c this time around, with an average of 71c. So I assume its a heating issue, I guess I should to be more cognizant of the temps the hot weather brings in then I thought I needed to be. When this all started and I saw the temps on the GPU, I suspected a dead fan, but they both are working.
Im 99% sure that's overheating you problem, you didn't get shut downs on lower temps so it must be that. I have seen some models of rx 580 running at 60c or even less. Check your fans and heatsink maybe they are full of dust.

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
So you are also used mixed modules? If so, this COULD be cause for instability. But as I said in my first posts, temperatures sooner seemed the issue.

Yes ambient temperature is incredibly important, the components are made and designed at regulated temperatures, so every degree you are over design temperature, you'll be a degree hotter.

And 90 degrees could be a cause for shut down especially if it goes over this at peak loads. May be worth seeing if the issue repeats now temps have cooled.

I didnt purchase them together, but I purchased a used identical module on Ebay. Probably not the best route, but to be quite frank, I dont know much about ram, and really didnt know what would be an upgrade, or how much of a difference I would notice, so I ended up just purchasing an identical stick to what was already in the machine.

That makes alot of sense about the components being designed to be used at an ambient temperature range, I'm sure they didnt have in mind 84f with 90% humidity.

I havent had anymore shut downs, no matter the game or settings. Like I said, its still summer, but this week is much better the the last. I used the radeon overlay to see temps during games this afternoon, Tetris Effect on high settings I was at 83-84c, low settings at 81-82c, and Jurassic World Evolution I was running at 79-82c. So think its hard to say that the high gpu temp combined with heat wave just was too much. As the weather mellows out, I'm sure those temps will improve, but I'll keep monitoring them.

Im 99% sure that's overheating you problem, you didn't get shut downs on lower temps so it must be that. I have seen some models of rx 580 running at 60c or even less. Check your fans and heatsink maybe they are full of dust.

I was really hoping my gpu would be full of dust, but it just wasnt. I removed the card, blasted it a bunch with compressed air, and nothing was really visible. That is honestly surprising to me since this is the first time I've cleaned the card out, its been a year and a half.

Jul 28, 2019
I didnt purchase them together, but I purchased a used identical module on Ebay. Probably not the best route, but to be quite frank, I dont know much about ram, and really didnt know what would be an upgrade, or how much of a difference I would notice, so I ended up just purchasing an identical stick to what was already in the machine.

That makes alot of sense about the components being designed to be used at an ambient temperature range, I'm sure they didnt have in mind 84f with 90% humidity.

I havent had anymore shut downs, no matter the game or settings. Like I said, its still summer, but this week is much better the the last. I used the radeon overlay to see temps during games this afternoon, Tetris Effect on high settings I was at 83-84c, low settings at 81-82c, and Jurassic World Evolution I was running at 79-82c. So think its hard to say that the high gpu temp combined with heat wave just was too much. As the weather mellows out, I'm sure those temps will improve, but I'll keep monitoring them.

I was really hoping my gpu would be full of dust, but it just wasnt. I removed the card, blasted it a bunch with compressed air, and nothing was really visible. That is honestly surprising to me since this is the first time I've cleaned the card out, its been a year and a half.
Sell that card and get the one with better cooling.

Aug 23, 2019
I have the same problem. Game shuts my computer down every time I play it,
other games have never caused same problem.

i5-6600K
RX 480 8 gb

If anyone has found a solution to the this problem, it would be nice to hear.