PC shuts down during a Game

twindragon

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
At the very begining of playing a game my brand new DIY build just turns off... I suspect a Power supply issue but it may be the GPU or God forbid DOA MOBO. What happens is I boot the computer it loads everything just fine. All connections are good no errors from the on board LEDs or beeps at all. I load warframe sign in start it ups and during the cut scene the rig seemingly just powers down. I press the power button, nothing. My Motherboard has a power on stanby LED that remains lit however it won't turn back on with the front power button. I can switch off the PSU and wait like 5 sec. then turn it back on via the power button and it starts up like nothing happened (other than informing me that windows didn't shut down normally and asks to boot in safe mode) willing to troubleshoot. Also it doesn't seem to be very hot at all I will try to get some temps but it dies mid game making it difficult to track whether overheating is the issue or not. No Overclocking keeping everything stock. I appriciate any help!
My build Specs
MOBO: M5A99FX Pro R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: EVGA nvidia GTX 660 2GB
PSU: CoolMax CU-600B 600W
RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Kingston 60GB SATA III

imaurer269

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I would suspect the PSU is crapping out under load. If you want to check temps d/l hwmonitor or other software along with prime95 and msi kombustor. See if you can run prime95 and kombustor each on their own. (prime95 will put your cpu under load kombustor will do your gpu. If they both do fine individually then try to run them simultaneous.

If either prime95 or kombustor or running both result in a shut down before temps rev up too high I would think the psu is bad. Coolmax is not a very quality unit. Try to find something better built like xfx, evga, corsair, antec or seasonic.

Event Viewer also has a lot of false positives though and useless errors.