[SOLVED] PC Shuts down during gaming when I plug my hdmi into my gpu ?

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Hello I have a issue where everytime I plug my hdmi into my gpu and play any game my pc shuts off I get bad fps in games and when I watch a video and go into fullscreen I get green lines that come on my screen for a few seconds. I ran a gpu stress test and my pc shuts off instantly when I start the test. When I did a cpu test it worked perfectly fine. When I unplug my graphics card and play games since I have integrated graphics on my gpu nothing happens. When I play fortnite I test my fps I plugged my hdmi into my gpu and loaded up fortnite then as soon has I clicked unlimited fps my pc shuts off. Few months ago when I had my hdmi plugged into my gpu it would work fine but my fps would be really bad in games now I can't play with my hdmi plugged into my gpu so I can only game with my ryzen 5 2400g.

Specs

Ryzen 5 2400g
RX 580 8GB Comes OC
ASUS B450M-A
650 W Cooler Master PSU
2 TB HDD
250 GB SSD
8 GB RAM 2666 MHZ

Solution
In most cases for a bad GPU you'd get a crash or artifacts. PC shutdowns come in when the PC is overheating or PSU failing. You might want to factory reset your mobo if you have OC'd it. But seeing that your card is OC it might be telling you pc to shut down over bad clocks and overheating (latest mobo features, I dont know). Don't worry about other things for now then. Since your pc is shutting down because of using HDMI all fingers now are pointing to your GPU, it could be a driver thing and the driver that came with the card might be the best one so far. I know I had issues with my HDMI on use with my card. On other cases If it was not the drivers it was my card. Manually having to fix the problem (cleaning the dust off, taking the...

SanaCrawsz

Reputable
May 5, 2017
Your card could be overheating and needs a new layer of thermal paste. Or perhaps by unplugging the gpu fans from the card for a minute or so and plugging it back in my just do the trick. My Radeon R9 280 XFX began to act up in the manner after some time overclocked to 1120MHz. When adding new thermal paste to the cpu and cleaning the entire system from dust. I took the card apart to clean it from dust too. But when I opened it, I took it apart from the thermal paste and had to add a new layer of thermal paste. The card acted up again because I overclocked it and repeated the manner of paste fix but this time I just took off the screws and left the fan connector plugged still, I added new thermal paste, put the card's plates in place. And the card wouldn't turn on no. I can only thank God that unplugging the fan and connecting it back in came as the solution. Now, if I get an error indicator on my mobo over my GPU, I know to unplug and plug back in the GPU fans and add new paste if you have it (it is not recommended to reuse exposed thermal paste to the air). Unplugging the GPU fans might have to do with a kind of reset in the GPU bios that re-initiates the card back into working condition. Godspeed of the Holy Bible.

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
I already sent
Your card could be overheating and needs a new layer of thermal paste. Or perhaps by unplugging the gpu fans from the card for a minute or so and plugging it back in my just do the trick. My Radeon R9 280 XFX began to act up in the manner after some time overclocked to 1120MHz. When adding new thermal paste to the cpu and cleaning the entire system from dust. I took the card apart to clean it from dust too. But when I opened it, I took it apart from the thermal paste and had to add a new layer of thermal paste. The card acted up again because I overclocked it and repeated the manner of paste fix but this time I just took off the screws and left the fan connector plugged still, I added new thermal paste, put the card's plates in place. And the card wouldn't turn on no. I can only thank God that unplugging the fan and connecting it back in came as the solution. Now, if I get an error indicator on my mobo over my GPU, I know to unplug and plug back in the GPU fans and add new paste if you have it (it is not recommended to reuse exposed thermal paste to the air). Unplugging the GPU fans might have to do with a kind of reset in the GPU bios that re-initiates the card back into working condition. Godspeed of the Holy Bible.
I sent my gpu for rma last week all I wanna know is if it's a psu issue or a gpu issue based on my problems.

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
r2Bkwyi8kPS1JRJWU4LXK1YHL1Rj_6QPiytZd50I2GFqkRyuke_RRiq8AvkVcndDezVftr1a7TkJ608S0tkWlc1oHvKFb5d-Gojohi_Wd2Va2OsgaVwbu7qw4wJrI0JiqYhbTmaJ4AT-In97-z2WIx8JeODHt6T9xRMXsT2sODnqSwG7ShAmDeHEjwaFugZjuRmZ5gKC7UHdveA_-gRQ_Cokpxs0BM9BjOts0LZXiHFx-eFovy4SqV75Psgh5hauBw-n68xCt0gHFFewU0_ksRv2tRzWQMOKfnAji_t6x6cq1YmTVZo1DNWtZyAuoPVhTk6HKOteRY5hVDlUWzs9Fz9voT19bp0yK_K0m1fz2Ewe6JXKmsFpY-QTfUPrVgp107pA-NleKuZV0pKJUD8opxgMkW2j0HHx3i7NL9oVdP9LROQb4J8XshyIAVPth_gKDzdc4RuoZ9fN80ly9yacRGf84XfUUC0ZnKtwFEJ1xtsDWqSI2HIvzfKmfCl-nwmu3SC-M__mxhj6gYTmPkIZao09NYKpWvTa1K3zYHtH0D8NZS7e2s6Q3PoETOd_YqjnBoVvH9CtgoWcKNuO5QlnZmUdQB6ZxR-NeSm1UHO_imZNJQ73Gxml40KEQDgW3-VrHl7UucgsQdhOgzyMbufqV4jnrKYTC5FNd5beS5dN78hOMp4-tR2RDL6nBJAMCP90WZ03eZgJi88I-FTmTrAyHme1GfE9bE-vxzSZtvLLlbg8cLU_9A-6qDGNwehlrcvzXZg=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Is it normal for a pin to be missing

SanaCrawsz

Reputable
May 5, 2017
In most cases for a bad GPU you'd get a crash or artifacts. PC shutdowns come in when the PC is overheating or PSU failing. You might want to factory reset your mobo if you have OC'd it. But seeing that your card is OC it might be telling you pc to shut down over bad clocks and overheating (latest mobo features, I dont know). Don't worry about other things for now then. Since your pc is shutting down because of using HDMI all fingers now are pointing to your GPU, it could be a driver thing and the driver that came with the card might be the best one so far. I know I had issues with my HDMI on use with my card. On other cases If it was not the drivers it was my card. Manually having to fix the problem (cleaning the dust off, taking the whole card apart, or depending on a certain driver of the card. Now, my card is working fine for the most part with latest drivers. I run back issues with it when I temper with my system internally. It might be something to do with my OS, ram, coinciding with my GPU. So, relax, wait for your new card. The solution will come in days. Godspeed.

Solution