PC Shuts down during gaming

gvhmann

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
I have a brand new PC Build, just built it a few days ago, and I'm having issues.
I can play most games fine, but I'm frequently crashing while playing Dishonored 2 and Fortnite (Whole system crashes and reboots, not windows crashing or anything).
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Arctic Freezer 13 CPU Cooler
Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Mini
MSI B350M Pro-VD Plus Motherboard
Corsair CX550M PSU
2 120mm Case Fans
8GB DDR4-3000 (Although it's running at 2667) RAM

All temps in Celcius
CPU:
Temps seem fine normally, idle temps are between 35-45 degrees
Temps while gaming don't exceed 55 degrees

GPU:
Idle: Around 35 Degrees
Load: Doesn't usually get hotter than 70 degrees, usually mid 60s to lower 70s.

All Parts are brand new, just built a few days ago so I don't think it's wear and tear or dust in the fans or whatever.

My thoughts are the preapplied thermal paste on the CPU Cooler sucks, and I should re-apply it, and maybe I didn't mount the CPU cooler totally on the CPU, causing some part of the CPU to heat up super fast, and cause an auto shut down?

Any tips before I buy some new thermal paste and reapply the CPU Cooler would be appreciated!

(Also, I can't get my RAM higher than 2667 mhz, system wont start if I try even though I should be able to according to what MSI says, so maybe that's something too?).

Also I would like to add that I was able to run firmark and prime95 at the same time and the PC didn't shut down, so my RAM, CPU and GPU were all at, or near 100% usage, so idk (CPU temp got up to 70+ degrees after about 10 mins of both stress tests going, GPU got up to 82 degrees).

Solution
ANSWER (Can't choose my own as best answer lol):

Thank you guys so much for your help, however it seems a simple BIOS update fixed the issue.
I didn't think this would be the case, but I guess my MOBO was manufactured before September (when the last BIOS update was), even though I got it in December.
Anyways, thanks again for your help though, I would recommend updating your BIOS to anyone experiencing this issue first before attempting other solutions.

gvhmann

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
So I put on A-XMP 2 (which said 3000 mhz), then changed my dram frequency to 2933, still wouldn't boot :(, but was able to get it to 2800 mhz so whatever. So I should try getting new thermal paste and re-mounting the cpu cooler?

Rexer

Distinguished
Using Steam? Their servers remember crashes like a game setting. I know it sounds weird. No matter if you rebuild your PC, install a clean download, if you're playing the same game, Steam will program your game settings and crash back in. -Go into game options or menu and 'reset' the game or set the game back to 'default settings'. Remember to write down your settings so you can put them back in. Sometimes it happens with Origin.
Hope this helps.

gvhmann

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Thank you for your suggestion Rexer, however it happens with Epic Games, and even games not used with any specific launcher, just launching via an exe.

I just ran CPU-Z all 12 thread stress test and Firmark GPU Stress test at the same time for 20 or so minutes straight, max cpu temp was about 73 degrees, high but the system still never crashed (Max GPU temp was 78 degrees). So idk why, when playing a game like fortnite, game crashes within 5 minutes, CPU temp is about 50 degrees and GPU temp is about 76 degrees max...

Rexer

Distinguished
To be honest, I don't know. I can offer suggestions on what I know and what I'd first do. Sometimes it becomes a hunt and peck exploration. This could also be a failure of your psu. I bought a bad Corsair RM750 a few years back that fried itself up black screening till it died. Turned out to a bad automatic fan setting which was recalled by Corsair. I doubt that would be your case.
But my impression are it could be a ram or a software issue. It might be Windows is conflicting with the game programs like a corrupt copy of Microsoft Visual C+. In that case, you'd have to reinstall it. But you'd be getting a message window or blue screen with an error code. Hmm. What other programs are running while the game is playing? Sometimes anti-virus/spyware programs interfere or treat games like a malware threat. Turn them off till next restart and run the game.

-The last Epic game I played was UT3 which was notorious for crashing. Once it crashed a few times, I had to do a clean uninstall/reinstall of the game. I then reset the game back to default settings and reloaded my control settings. I do know other techs who played Epic games and I'll ask what they did.

-Also newer versions of Windows will not run some older games possibly due to Dx9 or C: drive commands. In some cases you can make a Games folder outside of Program Files (x86) and install the games in there.

-Try testing your ram a stick at a time. First in slot #1. Then move it slot #3 then #2 and #4. If the one stick works in all slots, your slots are good, test the remaining ram in the #1 slot.

On new builds, it's always good to straighten out Windows and clean out the 'install scraps' to run fast and effortless using the tools built in it.
-Windows error checker, System File Checker and Defrag tools.
-To get to them go to 'My computer'> right click Local Disk C:> at the bottom of the drop window go to 'Properties'> click the 'Tools' tab> 'Error Checking'> Scan. This will check for errors on the disk and Windows program and repair them.

-System File Checker. In the 'Search' box next to 'Start', type cmd> right click Command Prompt> Run as Administrator> click 'yes' in the Windows Command Processor> in the black dos window, run C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /SCANNOW
sfc/SCANNOW will scan and repair all Windows files.

-Clean up and Defrag.> right click Local Disk C:> Properties> General tab> Disk Cleanup. -Run the Defrag tool under the 'tools' tab. to straighten everything out.

-If you can, go online to find Ccleaner download a free copy and run the Registry Cleaner. This will get rid of fragmented installers in the registry. A good, fast tool to have. Ccleaner cleans out the memory and browser trash.

-Hope some of this helps

gvhmann

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
ANSWER (Can't choose my own as best answer lol):

Thank you guys so much for your help, however it seems a simple BIOS update fixed the issue.
I didn't think this would be the case, but I guess my MOBO was manufactured before September (when the last BIOS update was), even though I got it in December.
Anyways, thanks again for your help though, I would recommend updating your BIOS to anyone experiencing this issue first before attempting other solutions.

Solution