[SOLVED] PC Shuts down GPU stress test

Jul 31, 2020
Hello I built my pc yester day with
Ryzen 5 2600
Msi A320-m A pro
Corsair Vengeance 8gb 3000Mhz
Corsair Cv 450w 80+ Bronze
Sapphire Pulse Rx480 (bought second hand)

So as I was playing CSGO, after 10 minutes, my pc shut down. I’ve stress tested my cpu using cpu z for 20 minutes and nothing crashes happened. After that, I stress tested the gpu and after a minute, the pc shut down. I’m wondering where the problem is? Is it the psu or the gpu itself?

Solution
Actually my case was open during the stress test, so the gpu is really hot. Should I change the thermal paste of the gpu or the psu is really the problem?

You need to lower the GPU temps or there's no way to say for sure.... but GPU temps are definitely on the very hot side of the spectrum. New thermal paste won't be a bad idea regardless.

I'm assuming the fan(s) for the GPU are at 100% when the temps get that high anyway, so it's not like you can accomplish it just by increasing fan speed.

The external fan, if you have one, would allow you to drop temps a bit without disassembly. Quick & easy troubleshooting.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Is it truly shutting down/restarting? Or does the system just lose display (yet it's still powered on)?

If it's shutting down, it's likely to be either temperature or power related.
If it's just losing display and the screen goes black, that's more likely to be the GPU &/or GPU driver.

Jul 31, 2020
Is it truly shutting down/restarting? Or does the system just lose display (yet it's still powered on)?

If it's shutting down, it's likely to be either temperature or power related.
If it's just losing display and the screen goes black, that's more likely to be the GPU &/or GPU driver.
It shuts down and i have to power it back on. Temps when stress testing reaches 95 degrees temp

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Temps when stress testing reaches 95 degrees temp

RX480s should throttle at ~93'C IIRC, so you're definitely into 'very hot' territory.
I'm not saying that's the reason for the shutdown, necessarily - but I'd suggest opening your case & pointing a fan at the case. That should lower the temps on the RX480 and you'll see if that's the problem.
If you still see shutdowns in the 80s, then it's not. If you do.... it's more likely power related.

Jul 31, 2020
RX480s should throttle at ~93'C IIRC, so you're definitely into 'very hot' territory.
I'm not saying that's the reason for the shutdown, necessarily - but I'd suggest opening your case & pointing a fan at the case. That should lower the temps on the RX480 and you'll see if that's the problem.
If you still see shutdowns in the 80s, then it's not. If you do.... it's more likely power related.
Actually my case was open during the stress test, so the gpu is really hot. Should I change the thermal paste of the gpu or the psu is really the problem?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

You need to lower the GPU temps or there's no way to say for sure.... but GPU temps are definitely on the very hot side of the spectrum. New thermal paste won't be a bad idea regardless.

I'm assuming the fan(s) for the GPU are at 100% when the temps get that high anyway, so it's not like you can accomplish it just by increasing fan speed.

The external fan, if you have one, would allow you to drop temps a bit without disassembly. Quick & easy troubleshooting.

Solution
Jul 31, 2020

So if I get to lower the temps while testing it, and it didn’t shut down, the problem is most probably because of the thermals of the gpu and not the psu?

Jul 31, 2020
The RX 480, while one of the best low budget 1080p gpus, doesn't play nice with cheaper power supplies; the current combo(gpu + psu) isn't stellar, but it's not a fireworks show either.
One thing at a time though. Get the gpu thermals under control first and then move to the psu.
I tried to calculate my wattage to have an idea how much i use. it didn’t exceed 400 watts though. so yea i’ll try one thing at a time thanks! View: https://imgur.com/gallery/QNlMwEN