Question PC shuts down immediately without warning

Sep 17, 2019
I recently built a gaming pc and it was working fine and I used to play a lot of games on it and there was no problem but recently my pc started shutting down immediately within 5 mins and it doesn't turn on. PC only turns on if I connect it to ups but if I connect it to the mains supply it doesn't even turn on. I tried everything but it shuts down every time. Please HELP
My pc specs are
i5 9400f
nvidia rtx 2060
msi z390 gaming plus mobo
hyperx kingston fury 2666mhz 8gb ram x2
wd 1tb hdd
wd 240gb ssd
crucial 500gb nvme
corsair cx cp9020103 650w psu
corsair h60 aio cooler
APC 1100va/660w UPS

I recently built a gaming pc and it was working fine and I used to play a lot of games on it and there was no problem but recently my pc started shutting down immediately within 5 mins and it doesn't turn on. PC only turns on if I connect it to ups but if I connect it to the mains supply it doesn't even turn on. I tried everything but it shuts down every time. Please HELP
My pc specs are
i5 9400f
nvidia rtx 2060
msi z390 gaming plus mobo
hyperx kingston fury 2666mhz 8gb ram x2
wd 1tb hdd
wd 240gb ssd
crucial 500gb nvme
corsair cx cp9020103 650w psu
corsair h60 aio cooler
APC 1100va/660w UPS

That sounds like a faulty PSU (the fact that it works with the UPS in there but not off the mains)... it actually could also be an indication of an electrical fault at your house... have you had any other issues with electrical devices? Also have you tried connecting your machine into a different mains socket? The UPS will provide a very clean electrical supply so might be shielding your machine from an issue with the mains...

Ralston18

Titan
" I connect it to the mains supply it doesn't even turn on."

Is the following line diagram correctly show the connections you are using:\

NOT Working: Mains supply (outlet?) ------> PC

Working: UPS -----> PC

Have you tried plugging in a lamp to the mains supply being used by the PC? Does the lamp work?

Are you able to use an extension cable to connect the PC to another wall outlet elsewhere in your residence? Does the PC work then?

Could be a problem with the current outlet or the electrical circuit serving the outlet. You may need an electrician to find the problem.

Reactions: cdrkf
Sep 17, 2019
Y
" I connect it to the mains supply it doesn't even turn on."

Is the following line diagram correctly show the connections you are using:\

NOT Working: Mains supply (outlet?) ------> PC

Working: UPS -----> PC

Have you tried plugging in a lamp to the mains supply being used by the PC? Does the lamp work?

Are you able to use an extension cable to connect the PC to another wall outlet elsewhere in your residence? Does the PC work then?

Could be a problem with the current outlet or the electrical circuit serving the outlet. You may need an electrician to find the problem.
Yes the diagram is correct
The main supply used by the pc works it shows voltage around 242v. I'm from India
I tried plugging it in elsewhere in my house it doesn't work it only works with the ups
i tried everything but can't find the problem with the pc

Sep 17, 2019
What make and model UPS?

What make and model PSU?

Does the PSU have a small voltage selector on the back?

Nothing else between mains and PC; no power bars, extension cords, plug adapters, etc. - correct?
What make and model UPS?

What make and model PSU?

Does the PSU have a small voltage selector on the back?

Nothing else between mains and PC; no power bars, extension cords, plug adapters, etc. - correct?
UPS model is https://www.amazon.in/APC-BX1100C-1100VA-230V-Back/dp/B01ELNPG2I
and psu is https://www.amazon.in/Corsair-CP-9020103-NA-Semi-Modular-Bronze-Supply/dp/B01B72W1VA
there is no voltage selector button on the back i have a 3 pin conector attached to the psu to connect it to the ups

Sep 17, 2019
That sounds like a faulty PSU (the fact that it works with the UPS in there but not off the mains)... it actually could also be an indication of an electrical fault at your house... have you had any other issues with electrical devices? Also have you tried connecting your machine into a different mains socket? The UPS will provide a very clean electrical supply so might be shielding your machine from an issue with the mains...
I called an electrician technician and fixed the power supply problem at my home the voltage was a little high at my house so he fixed it but again when i tried to switch on the pc and play any game it switched off immediately
I have tried connecting it to other sockets but same problem

Ralston18

Titan
PSU damage is a likely culprit.

The PSU can be tested to some extent: if you have a multimeter and know how to use then pull the PSU and test.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If necessary, find a family member or friend to help. Not a full test as the PSU is not under load but any out of spec voltages will be a strong indication that the PSU has been damaged.

I am also curious about just what that electrician technician did with respect to fixing that "little high voltage"....?

Sep 17, 2019
PSU damage is a likely culprit.

The PSU can be tested to some extent: if you have a multimeter and know how to use then pull the PSU and test.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If necessary, find a family member or friend to help. Not a full test as the PSU is not under load but any out of spec voltages will be a strong indication that the PSU has been damaged.

I am also curious about just what that electrician technician did with respect to fixing that "little high voltage"....?
The technician told me that there was some fault with some fuse in my house

Ralston18

Titan
Some fault caused the electrical circuit fuse to blow and the technician replaced the fuse. Did he check the outlet(s) afterwards?

Does your residence use 220 volts at 50Hz?

Does a lamp work in the outlet?

As for the PSU: How did the repair shop test the PSU or otherwise determine that the PSU was "working fine"?

Going back a step - the computer still does work but only when connected to the UPS. Is that correct?

On the back of the UPS - is the circuit breaker engaged/set? Location is just above the incoming power cable.

Sep 17, 2019
Some fault caused the electrical circuit fuse to blow and the technician replaced the fuse. Did he check the outlet(s) afterwards?

Does your residence use 220 volts at 50Hz?

Does a lamp work in the outlet?

As for the PSU: How did the repair shop test the PSU or otherwise determine that the PSU was "working fine"?

Going back a step - the computer still does work but only when connected to the UPS. Is that correct?

On the back of the UPS - is the circuit breaker engaged/set? Location is just above the incoming power cable.
My residence use 220v at 50hz and a lamp works in the outlet.
The technician at the repair shop used my psu with another system and it was working fine and the computer still does not turn on with main power supply socket and there is no circuit breaker on the back of my ups