[SOLVED] PC shuts down on 100% CPU load ?

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
Guys I have a an old i3 530 system that is randomly shutting down when reaching 100% CPU usage after sometime. I just want to know what's the issue ,i am using a generic 450 watt psu (zebronics) because my system power usage is very low as i don't have a discrete gpu.

Solution
If that PSU is as old as the CPU (10 years?) it's probably on its last legs. I would replace that before it fails and takes other parts with it.

If sure about system not over heating and If available I would check with another working PSU and see if shutdown still happens or not.

PSUs lose some of their nominal capacity over the years (some percent each year) and the quality of design, buid and components (SMDs etc) has a direct correlation with their degradation. As said above, that's not a great PSU to begin with.

Not sure about the 550W CM MWE (didn't see any credible review if there are) but it's better than the current one I guess.

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
keep an eye on CPU temperatures up until a shutdown occurs.

also a chance that this low quality power supply just cannot cope anymore with the CPU stress when being fully utilized.
My cpu seats unders 60 degrees under full load and i have upgraded my fan at the beginning of this year.So heating is not a major problem , then should i buy a new psu ??And yes i am also using a ups for power fluctuations.

cpu sits under 60 degrees under full load
you've actually had your eye on the temperature as one of these instances occurs?
and when these crashes/shutdowns occur your CPU is under 60°C, at what ° exactly?
i am also using a ups for power fluctuations
a UPS doesn't solve PSU power fluctuation.
if it's also a surge protector it can help with building electrical fluctuations but if the PSU itself is having trouble maintaining steady current there's nothing that can help with that except replacing it.

Reactions: adityaanand430

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
you've actually had your eye on the temperature as one of these instances occurs?
and when these crashes/shutdowns occur your CPU is under 60°C, at what ° exactly?

a UPS doesn't solve PSU power fluctuation.
if it's also a surge protector it can help with building electrical fluctuations but if the PSU itself is having trouble maintaining steady current there's nothing that can help with that except replacing it.
Yes the temp was under 60 © when it crashed and restarted again. I am thinking to buy a new psu,Is a cooler master mwe v2 550 watt 80 plus bronze good for my specs?

Guys I have a an old i3 530 system that is randomly shutting down when reaching 100% CPU usage after sometime. I just want to know what's the issue ,i am using a generic 450 watt psu (zebronics) because my system power usage is very low as i don't have a discrete gpu.

Whats the rest of your system specs, brand and model of at least motherboard and RAM ?

And if you don't mind and can share with us, What kind of workload is your CPU doing when the system shuts down and restart by itself ?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If that PSU is as old as the CPU (10 years?) it's probably on its last legs. I would replace that before it fails and takes other parts with it.

If sure about system not over heating and If available I would check with another working PSU and see if shutdown still happens or not.

PSUs lose some of their nominal capacity over the years (some percent each year) and the quality of design, buid and components (SMDs etc) has a direct correlation with their degradation. As said above, that's not a great PSU to begin with.

Not sure about the 550W CM MWE (didn't see any credible review if there are) but it's better than the current one I guess.

Solution

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018
Whats the rest of your system specs, brand and model of at least motherboard and RAM ?

And if you don't mind and can share with us, What kind of workload is your CPU doing when the system shuts down and restart by itself ?
I am a college student , my workflow includes coding and light photoshop.
My specs are as :
Core i3 530
I have a generic (Zebronics h55)Motherboard
8gb 1333mhz ddr3 kingston ram
450watt psu(zebronics)
The shutdowns mainly happens when some power fluctuations happens or low input ac current when cpu is on 100% load.

adityaanand430

Honorable
Mar 14, 2018

Its a cheap psu , around 3 years old.Yes the Cm is a budget option for my pc as it barely touches 250 watts on full load.I guess my psu is done because it just don't handle a simple power surge , the hold up time is too low.