May 5, 2019
PC shuts down, power button blinks blue, and wont turn on

SPECS:
Motherboard - MSI A88X-G45
GPU - AMD RX590 fatboy edition
CPU - AMD A8 - 8000
RAM - 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU - Thermaltake TR2 600NL2NC

During mid game, my pc shuts down and I assume it over heated. The case’s power button led was blinking blue, the same itd be when I put it in sleep mode. I try to power it on, no use. I decided to take it apart and use that time to also clean it. I cracked open the PSU and found a bunch of dust, and that may be one of the problems. I cleaned everything else out, and put it back together.
So, the power button on the MB has a light and it turns on after powering on the PSU. But when I do power on the PSU, there is also 2 LEDs, one red and one blue that both turn on and flash off. Those two LEDs also flash when I turn off the PSU. When i try powering it with the case button, the 2 red leds on the gpu near the PCIE ports flash on. I tried pulling off the GPU and powering it on with the case, but some LEDs on the MB below the peripherals connector flash. I have tried 1 stick of ram and 0 stick of ram, both no use. I will try to find a PSU during the time to try and use it to power my PC, but do you guys know any other possibility as to why this might happen?

PSU - Thermaltake TR2 600NL2NC

This might be the culprit. The TR2 units from TK have had a very bad reputation. These are very poor quality, low-end power units. Lowest TIER. I won't advice you to continue using this PSU to power up the RX 590. Do not take any RISK.

That TR2 model cannot be trusted. Can you check your PC by using some other PSU ?

ccba7ccf-54bb-4c0e-8fc4-404b51900c61.png

Last edited:
May 5, 2019
Thank you for the advice! I’ve never realized that this was a bad PSU. I have used it for more than 4 years and havent had a problem until now. I will check for another PSU once I get home and i will get back to you about it.

May 5, 2019
Thank you both for helping me with this. It was in fact the PSU, I tried the paper clip test and the old psu fan didnt turn on. I got a new EVGA 600w 80 plus PSU and it worked. I will try to do more research next time. Thank you!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.