Question PC shuts down randomly, all fans spin up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regret696

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Hi people,

So ive started to have this weird problem with my PC. Built the PC back in oktober 2019 and had no problems with it, untill now...

The problem first occured when I booted the new Zoo Tycoon game, after running for about 3 minutes the PC would shutdown(could still hear the sound of the game) give me no signal on the monitor and the fans would all spin up like crazy. Thought it was quite weird and restarded the PC and the game, same thing happened. Then I figured third times a charm and the exact same thing happened. Thought this was quite weird, but never had any problems while gaming before so decided it was something to do with the game.

After a week or so the PC also started doing this in other games(RDR2, GTAV. Tarkov) Sometimes 4 times a day, and other days only once.
Figured it had something to do with the GPU, checked if the card was seated correctly, checked the 8 pin connecter and also checked for excessive dust buildup. Looked fine to me!

After that I tried putting the card in the other PCI slot to check if maybe my MOBO was dying. That ran fine for 2 days, and I thought I fixed it. Sadly it started to do the same thing again.
Monitored the GPU and CPU temps during gaming and they seem normal, so I dont think its an overheating issue.

Am I barking up the right tree thinking its the GPU, or could a thing like a failing PSU/CPU also cause something like this?

Further info:

Everything is running stock clockspeeds, PC specs below.

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (With stock cooler)
RAM: 16GB of some green stuff I had laying around
GPU: RTX2060super
PSU: EVGA 650watt bronze 80 plus.

Thanks in advance for everyone that is willing to chime in!

SocialFish

Honorable
Dec 24, 2016
I have been having literally the exact same issue and so far the fix has been setting my max GPU temperature to 60 degrees c (I have an EVGA card so I did it through precisionX). For now this seems to have stopped the turning off, though I can't say if this is a definite fix - I will update my reply if I get the shut down again.

Reactions: Regret696

Regret696

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I have been having literally the exact same issue and so far the fix has been setting my max GPU temperature to 60 degrees c (I have an EVGA card so I did it through precisionX). For now this seems to have stopped the turning off, though I can't say if this is a definite fix - I will update my reply if I get the shut down again.

Thanks for the reply! Seems to be a GPU related issue then.

I did read a story somewhere about a guy who had the same problems, decided to take the GPU apart and apply new thermal paste. That fixed his problem,

Seeing as I still have warranty I think im just going to RMA this card.

Status
Not open for further replies.