Question PC shuts down randomly - even more on intel GPU

Sep 2, 2019
Hi,
I'm having issues with my build for months, maybe already years. I had occasionally random reboots with R9 270. It didn't matter if i was gaming high demanding games or just watching youtube. There were periods of time when i had few months of normal usage and on the other hand there were moments when i had few shut downs a day. I did clean install of windows 2-3 times and nothing changed.

Recently I've sold my GPU because i wanted to upgrade in near future and use my intel graphics for a moment. Now it got much worse because I get random shut downs many times a day. It doesn't matter if I'm gaming or browsing folders etc.

I have no idea what's going on and why situation got even worse after selling GPU and using Intel's one. Temperatures are fine, i installed 2 extra fans in my PC case. Can anyone help me solve this issue?

PC specs:

CPU: i5 4460
PSU: silentiumpc vero L2 600w
motherboard: B85M-D3H
GPU: previously R9 270, now intel integrated HD 4600
ram: 2x2GB Kingston + 2x2GB Exceleram
SSD crucial mx500
HDD: WD green

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're having power issues and not ONCE suspected the power supply as the shut downs became more frequent over time?

It's not the exact same model, but I'd bet it isn't much better than yours.

Also, another red flag and easy to test - the ram.
There exists the possibility the 2 kits are not compatible with one another.
Take out the Exceleram and leave in the Kingston. If it does not stop the shut offs, then I point you back to the power supply.

Sep 2, 2019
You're having power issues and not ONCE suspected the power supply as the shut downs became more frequent over time?

It's not the exact same model, but I'd bet it isn't much better than yours.

I forgot to mention that i had previously Corsair VS 450 and had this issues too. I even borrowed VS550 from my friend and it was just the same so i think PSU isn't faulty.

Also, another red flag and easy to test - the ram.
There exists the possibility the 2 kits are not compatible with one another.
Take out the Exceleram and leave in the Kingston. If it does not stop the shut offs, then I point you back to the power supply.

I've done some intensive testing and here things are getting weird. Firstly I've tested Kingston and then Exceleram in MoBo slots 1/3 and everything was fine.

Then I've tried same thing again with Kingston but in slots 2/4. I've got almost instant shutdowns just after loading any game menu. So I've swapped for Exceleram in slots 2/4 and again reboots like crazy.

Next day i went back to slots 2/4 using Kingston and no single reboot for almost two days :unsure: I switched today to Exceleram 2/4 and still no single reboot. This PC is just cursed...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I forgot to mention that i had previously Corsair VS 450 and had this issues too. I even borrowed VS550 from my friend and it was just the same so i think PSU isn't faulty.

I've done some intensive testing and here things are getting weird. Firstly I've tested Kingston and then Exceleram in MoBo slots 1/3 and everything was fine.

Then I've tried same thing again with Kingston but in slots 2/4. I've got almost instant shutdowns just after loading any game menu. So I've swapped for Exceleram in slots 2/4 and again reboots like crazy.

Next day i went back to slots 2/4 using Kingston and no single reboot for almost two days :unsure: I switched today to Exceleram 2/4 and still no single reboot. This PC is just cursed...
Well the VS series are not great, so you never know it could still be, but less likely if you've tried multiple.

Run memtest with the RAM modules. Probably best with the kingston modules first, then the others. Have you also been mixing RAM?

Sep 2, 2019
Well the VS series are not great, so you never know it could still be, but less likely if you've tried multiple.

Run memtest with the RAM modules. Probably best with the kingston modules first, then the others. Have you also been mixing RAM?

Now I know that VS are crappy but 3 faulty PSU in a row? I would be really "lucky" :p
Many months ago i ran memtest with few passes and nothing was wrong but i can run it again i think.
Mixing? I've been running them recently like 2 kingston or 2 exceleram, not 1 from one brand and second from another.

Intensive testing, such as?
Timespy? Prime95 Blend mode? AIDA64? Memtest86?
Windows Memory Diagnostic isn't very thorough.

I've been playing in as high demanding games as HD 4600 can handle with launched chrome, spotify etc. in the background. I also launched occt. Normally during these tasks computer dies, sometimes even chrome is enough.

UPDATE: I thought that maybe 2nd and 4th slot on MoBo were faulty but right now PC died with RAM sticks in 1/3 so it doesn't matter where i put them.

Sep 2, 2019
I’ve done memtest on both memory sets and no errors were found. First ss from Kingston and second from Exceleram:
wdAQyMF.jpg

gVNUFvI.jpg