[SOLVED] PC shuts down randomly - once per day - under no load/stress

Tw33die

Reputable
Aug 31, 2020
Hi all, hoping someone can help me as I'm totally baffled!

My PC has been working like a dream for 2 years, never so much as one crash. The last 2 weeks, however, I am getting a crash just once per day, usually within 2-5 minutes of turning it on. After that, it works totally fine again without crashing or any issues. Some days it won't crash at all, others it will. Some info -

• Crash doesn't happen under any specific load. Often, it is just on the desktop or with Steam/a browser open, but no game running.
  • It runs totally fine in games at high load, temps etc. I've tested it several times so how hard I'm running the PC doesn't seem to have an effect.
  • When it crashes, the screen freezes for a few seconds then goes off and the lights on the keyboard mouse go out. The lights on the fans stay ON. The fans on the front/back then seem to rev-up to their highest RPM for 2-4 seconds, then turn off/go quiet and the PC restarts as if a normal boot.
  • There are no error messages, blue screens etc.
  • After that initial crash, the PC then runs fine for the rest of the day, no matter what I throw at it.
  • I've tested under 'Optimized defaults', 'XMP' and the 'Gaming' presets in the ASUS BIOS, as well as overclocked manually, and it happens on all of them the same.

So there you have it, in a nutshell. Apart from the fact the crash happens only shortly after turning on, there doesn't appear to be anything to link the crashes or seemingly to cause them!

Any thoughts are very, very welcome!

Specs -

Intel Core i7-8700k
ROG Maximus X Hero (latest rev. installed)
Corsair vengeance RGB DDR4 RAM 16GB at 3200Mhz
Nvidia RTX 2080 (sometimes manually OC'd, sometimes not)
Windows 10 Home
Corsair RMX650 PSU
1TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe
500GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe

In was built by SCAN computers UK under their 3XS brand.

Cheers
Nick

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is that PSU? Were you on another GPU prior to the RTX2080? Is your board the non WiFi version? Might want to check and see which version of BIOS you're currently on to be sure you're on the latest BIOS version. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall the drivers in an elevated command, Right click installer>Run as Administrator(after downloading the drivers from Nvidia's support site.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on at the moment? Latest firmware updates for your Samsung SSD's?

Tw33die

Reputable
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is that PSU? Were you on another GPU prior to the RTX2080? Is your board the non WiFi version? Might want to check and see which version of BIOS you're currently on to be sure you're on the latest BIOS version. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall the drivers in an elevated command, Right click installer>Run as Administrator(after downloading the drivers from Nvidia's support site.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on at the moment? Latest firmware updates for your Samsung SSD's?

Hi thanks for replying
-PSU (and whole machine) is 24 months old
  • I was, I believe it was a GTX 1060
  • Non-wifi
  • Bios rev. is 2402, it was the first thing I checked/updated
  • Windows 10 home, version 19....something, unsure how to check. I can update to version 2004, but it doesn't show as a critical/auto update just optional
  • Yes, all are up to date

Cheers
Nick

Tw33die

Reputable
Aug 31, 2020
Have you checked event viewer to see if Windows even knows that it's going down?
Sometimes the BSOD doesn't get to the screen but some events get written that can help in the diagnostics.

Hi

Uploaded here - https :// ibb.co /qFnTbjB (minus spaces, wouldn't let me link otherwise)

Tw33die

Reputable
Aug 31, 2020
Do you have Application logs and System logs under Windows Logs? Those are the ones we'd need to see. From the last few minutes right up to the time of the crash.

Hi, I'm not sure I know how to find this. I looked in Event viewer > Applications and Service Logs, but there was nothing there under Hardware events.

Tw33die

Reputable
Aug 31, 2020

Hi, thanks. OK I think I have it. I checked the most recent 2 instances, which were on 31/08/2020 at around 11:55 and 12:07. This is the only time it crashed twice in one day. On both occasions, there was a critical error with the 'Bonjour service' (never known what that actually does) but unsure if it was the cause or just a reaction.

I uploaded the two files to Dropbox. I hope the below is correct...

https:// www. dropbox. com/h?preview=31082020+application.evtx
https:// www. dropbox. com/h?preview=31082020+system.evtx