[SOLVED] PC shuts down randomly, then turns back on?

Jun 27, 2019
Hello, I have an issue on my build; whilst browsing Youtube for a few hours, I decide to play CS:GO, I'm about half way through (25minutes or so) then it shuts off. No warning, just black screen and all LEDs shut off on it, then after a few seconds turns back on and boots. I launched CS:GO back and reconnected, just for it to happen within 30 minutes. Same thing, no warnings and just reboots. I join again and about 5 minutes later crash, relaunch, then it ends up being the second I load in it shuts off, and it happened 3 times, I boot it back up, open Chrome and write this. No issues, other than my Razer Chroma mouse flashing colors rapidly which now is the first time it's ever happened. I usually run this system @ 5Ghz, this all happened while it's running stock speeds. I have a water cooled system with temps up on another monitor, nothing out of the usual there. I heard it could be a faulty PSU, but I'm here to ask for help with what to try until I get a PSU to test it in a few days.

Build:
CPU: i7 9700k @5Ghz running @ 3.4Ghz to test issues
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60
Mobo: MSI Z390
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC running @ Stock to test issues
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz running @ 2200Mhz to test issues
PSU: ~600 watt Corsair
SSD: WD 126GB
HD: 1TB, 500GB, 500GB

I have 2 intake fans, and 2 exhaust fans for my radiator, running push/pull. While I wait for responses I'll be dusting it, fixing cable management, clearing CMOS, double checking everythings firmly plugged in and then running stress tests on it, if you have anything to suggest please leave them below, thank you!

EDIT 1
Only has happened with games running, will test again after updating all drivers

EDIT 2
After updating GPU drivers, 10 minutes of Prime95 got me at:
CPU running @ 3.6Ghz
System: 37c
CPU Core: 65c
CPU Socket: 52c
Core 0-7 MAX Temp: 65c w/ average of 63c
CPU Package: 65c
Utilization: Constant 100% for 10 minutes
with 0 errors & warnings from Prime95

EDIT 3
Installed Heaven Benchmark, GPU jumps to 44% utilization right when I click Start, instantly turns off my PC then it turns itself back on, Voltages stay the same though

EDIT 4
Heaven Benchmark crashes when using Direct X 11, doesn't crash using Direct X 9, or OpenGL

Last edited:
Solution
I think the PSU is a likely culprit.

How old is the PSU? Based on the build you may be pushing the PSU's wattage capabilities.

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Look for error codes and warnings that occurred just before or at the time of the shutdowns.

If there is a consistent error code then that error can be addressed directly. If there are multiple varying errors, then the PSU may well be the root cause.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you have a multimeter and know how to use you may be able to discover some PSU related problem. Maybe have a knowledgeable family member or friend help. The testing is limited because the PSU is not...

Ralston18

Titan

How old is the PSU? Based on the build you may be pushing the PSU's wattage capabilities.

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Look for error codes and warnings that occurred just before or at the time of the shutdowns.

If there is a consistent error code then that error can be addressed directly. If there are multiple varying errors, then the PSU may well be the root cause.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

If you have a multimeter and know how to use you may be able to discover some PSU related problem. Maybe have a knowledgeable family member or friend help. The testing is limited because the PSU is not under load but the testing will reveal some out of spec voltage.

Solution
Jun 27, 2019

FYI:

If you have a multimeter and know how to use you may be able to discover some PSU related problem. Maybe have a knowledgeable family member or friend help. The testing is limited because the PSU is not under load but the testing will reveal some out of spec voltage.
PSU is actually a Thermaltake TR2 600W, I just dusted it all out, including the CPU Radiator fan, Memory Slots, and reseated the GPU after dusting it out, Event Viewer actually showed the crashes, it shows, "Kernel-Power - Event ID 41, "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Never had this problem until recently, and others say it's a big enough PSU, what would you think I need?

Ralston18

Titan
Unable (and generally not of the nature to disagree per se) with what others say.

Take a close look at what is "big enough".

Add up the wattage requirements of all installed components using the high end values. Add 25%.

Compare that total wattage to what the installed PSU is capable of providing with the caveat that supporting the rated load wattage was established under ideal conditions.

There are a number of online calculators that will help make such calculations. Work through two or three calculators to establish a wattage consensus. Compare to the present Cosair 600 watt PSU.

Bear in mind that PSU's can and do deteriorate or degrade with time and usage. Especially at high loads.

Jun 27, 2019
Unable (and generally not of the nature to disagree per se) with what others say.

Take a close look at what is "big enough".

Add up the wattage requirements of all installed components using the high end values. Add 25%.

Compare that total wattage to what the installed PSU is capable of providing with the caveat that supporting the rated load wattage was established under ideal conditions.

There are a number of online calculators that will help make such calculations. Work through two or three calculators to establish a wattage consensus. Compare to the present Cosair 600 watt PSU.

Bear in mind that PSU's can and do deteriorate or degrade with time and usage. Especially at high loads.
Estimated at 30%, got a replacement 600watt runs fine

TRENDING THREADS