[SOLVED] Pc shuts down (seemingly) at random.

Dec 28, 2018
My PC is acting extremely weird this past week. I built it 3 years ago and have never had problems until now. Recently, a few weird things have started happening. OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

1. 2 blue screens: codes:
a. 0x000000F4 (this one occurred first)
b. 0x0000007A (this one occured a day later)

2. After the blue screens, everything was fine until a few days later, when, while using my PC, it would randomly shut off and then restart itself. It would be fine for a while (a few hours), then randomly shut off and restart. Sometimes, it would become locked into a shut down->restart->shutdown->restart, etc cycle until i pulled the plug.

3. Recently (yesterday and today), it no longer restarts after being powered off. It simply shuts down and doesn't turn back on.

Something strange I've noticed: When it shuts down, I can no longer turn the PC on. The power button does nothing, no matter how long I wait before pressing it (I have waited from 10 second before trying, to 8 hours before trying. No luck.) However, if I pull the plug for 15 seconds and plug it back in, all of a sudden, the power button works and it powers up again.

4. Bios got corrupted during one of the shutdown->restart cycles. It auto restored from backup. (maybe it was mid update and pc shut down??)

What I've Done:
1. Monitor temps: they are all fine, I don't think overheating is the problem.

2. Run chkdsk: it says there are no problems

3. Use the ram memory test tool: no problems

4. Clean out dust from pc, unplug and replug all parts: still no change

I'm thinking it could be the PSU, but I wanted some opinions before buying a new part and I also wanted to see if anyone else had something similar happen to them. One other thread I found on a similar issue said that it was a virus, but I've run malwarebytes and avast multiple times and they come up dry. Ty for help!

Solution
It would be very uncommon for a faulty hard drive to cause a system to not want to power on or to straight up shut off. Hard drive issues would be far more likely to present as errors, blue screens, freezing or any of those along with abnormal noises. Simply shutting off or failing to even power on at all, unless there was an actual short inside something else like a hard drive that was triggering protections elsewhere, is mostly limited to problems with the power supply or motherboard.
What is the exact model of your power supply, and how long has it been in service, roughly?

This is usually a power supply problem, about 75% of the time, but occasionally it might be a motherboard issue as well. What is the model of your motherboard and how long has IT been in service?

Sep 28, 2019
I had the same problem last year.
Beside chkdsk reported no error, but at the end I realize the hard disk was defective. I suggest try system with a new HDD, or vice versa, try HDD with another system.
Hope it helps

It would be very uncommon for a faulty hard drive to cause a system to not want to power on or to straight up shut off. Hard drive issues would be far more likely to present as errors, blue screens, freezing or any of those along with abnormal noises. Simply shutting off or failing to even power on at all, unless there was an actual short inside something else like a hard drive that was triggering protections elsewhere, is mostly limited to problems with the power supply or motherboard.

Solution