PC shuts down suddenly as if clicked on shut down button

karasahin

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello. It is the behaviour of my desktop doing for a few days now.

It shuts itself down but not just like that. It closes all of the programs before shuts the system down without my approval. However, as soon as it closes the programs, it shuts itself down without waiting normal shut down. It is not a normal shut down but not like an overheat shut down or a BSOD shut down either.

And more importantly, after shutting itself down it stays off for about 5 mins before I can turn it on again. Pressing on power on button does not help. The light on the power button is present, the light stays for about 3 to 5 secs, then goes dark. Then after few seconds it does the same thing again automatically, without me pressing the power button. This takes about 5 mins or little longer like I said before the PC turns on.

No such thing as overheating I'm sure. I keep monitoring it and it does it even on 50 Celsius degrees on CPU and same for the GPU as well. I just keep surfing on the internet on Chrome.

So I think it is the PSU that is about to fail but I don't know exactly. It is the 500watt High Power PSU that needs to supply i5 4460, GTX 750 Ti and 8 GB RAM. So it is probably not even a full 500 watt PSU but I assumed it would supply it based on the calculations on the internet. And it did, to date.

Right now I have limited the CPU power at 1% and it keeps working at 800 MHz which is tortoise slow but drains up as low as a laptop ULV CPU. It works without shutting itself now.

So if the CPU continues to work like that and the system not shut itself down, can we assume for sure that is the PSU? Or is it already a PSU failure by now based on symptoms? Please help me. I'd appreciate for your help.

karasahin

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I guess you are right because I was almost certainly sure that limiting the CPU power at 1% would help to prevent shut downs but it did not. I can't remember the exact model but it was High Power 500 Watt without 80+ gold thingy. It is been 4 years.

By the way, the PC shuts itself down even on safe mode and between post BIOS - the Starting Windows screen. And just now it turned itself on whoa. I am almost sure that I closed it myself after giving up trying more.

karasahin

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
It ran enough to finish Kaspersky scan at 800 Mhz and there was no viruses.

It is weird because it shuts itself down and tries to turn on afterwards in a loop. Had to pull off the power cord to stop it doing this.