PC Shuts down, then reboots several times

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Hey guys, so, I know some variants of this problem were asked before, but none seemed to be exactly what's happening to me.

First of all, let me say my PC is brand new. I bought it about 3-4 months ago. Specs are:

CPU: Core I7 8700k
MOBO: Gygabyte Aorus Gaming 3 Z370
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3200mhz
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1070ti
HDD: WD 1tb Caviar Blue
SDD: Kingston 240gb
PSU: XFX XTR 750W

So, everything worked fine until a week ago, when I was playing Mortal Kombat X with a friend and my PC suddenly shut down. Then it tried to boot 3 times, but never made it to the Aorus screen. After the third time, I was sent directly to the BIOS and it said somehting like Clear CMOS and that I had to re-do all my settings (which isn't that bad, since I only enable XMP profile).
I didn't pay too much attention to it, since I thought it was an isolated event, but today it happened again. Everything shut off, and then it tried to boot a couple times before sending me back to the BIOS with the exact same message.

It can't be a temperature issue, CPU is at 29°C and GPU at 33°C. Everything is new, except for the PSU, which is 2 and 1/2 years old.

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue and how to solve it? Any help would be great, thanks!

Solution
I just used heaven benchmark and kept an eye on my temps and fan on my PSU. Mine generally wouldn’t last longer than about 5 minutes before attempting to reboot.

heshclub7

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Had the same issue awhile back. Tried new drivers, fresh windows install and nothing helped. Turned out it was my PSU overheating. The fan would try to spin up but could never get going. Try running a benchmark program and keeping an eye on your PSU. Mine was a Corsair 750 and only a couple years old too.

alehenestroza

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for the repplies!

asoroka: I've watched a couple videos on how to change the battery, but I'd really like to avoid doing that, since I fear it may void the warranty. Is there a way to know if that's what causing my problem other than changing the battery and see what happens?

heshclub7: Could you recommend which program I should run?

Thanks!