[SOLVED] PC shuts down when gpu reaches temperature of 70 celsius

Aug 1, 2020
So i have amd rx 470 4 gb
Im using gpu tweak 2 to raise the fan speed to max and i raise the temperature limit to max
But it does not solve my problem
It still shuts down when the gpu reaches 70 celsius so can i somehow remove the gpu temperature limit?

Solution
It's possible that the card's mining BIOS does have a thermal limit. I don't know. The answer to that would be to find the original BIOS for your graphics card and reflash it.

Of course, I do NOT recommend this as if the BIOS flash fails, you no longer have a functioning graphics card. You should have had the seller reflash the card to it's original BIOS and tested it before you purchased it.

Given that is not an option any longer, your might want to see if someone you know, locally (with more experience) can do it for you. They'll likely be better prepared for and understand any issues that may arise.

If that is not an option, then get your "Google-Fu" going and start reading/watching videos. Also start searching for your card's...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Rather that trying to break that which is saving your computer, why not try to fix what is breaking your computer.

Please list your full system specifications with part numbers:

Case:
Power Supply:
Motherboard:
CPU:
RAM:
Storage:
Graphics Card:

-Wolf sends

Aug 1, 2020
Rather that trying to break that which is saving your computer, why not try to fix what is breaking your computer.

Please list your full system specifications with part numbers:

Case:
Power Supply:
Motherboard:
CPU:
RAM:
Storage:
Graphics Card:

-Wolf sends

Case:Alexander Weise Weiss C903 Black, 4x12cm Fan LED
Power Supply:Raidmax Cobra power 1200w
Motherboard:MSI H61M-P20 (G3) (MS-7788)
CPU:Intel Core i5-3470
RAM:12gb ddr3
Storage:1tb
Graphics Card:rx 470 nitro 4gb

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Make sure all eight pins are attached to the graphics card. The card can draw up to 175 watt of power. 75 of that it gets from the PCI-Ex16 expansion slot, the remaining 100 needs to come from the auxiliary power port. Six pins delivers up to an additional 75 watts of power. Eight pins delivers up to an additional 150 watts of power.

What I see happening is that as you use your system, the card heats up and as it reaches 70°C, it pushes to power load over 150 watts and if you don't have all eight pins connected, the card can't get the power it needs and shuts your system down.

-Wolf sends

Aug 1, 2020
Make sure all eight pins are attached to the graphics card. The card can draw up to 175 watt of power. 75 of that it gets from the PCI-Ex16 expansion slot, the remaining 100 needs to come from the auxiliary power port. Six pins delivers up to an additional 75 watts of power. Eight pins delivers up to an additional 150 watts of power.

What I see happening is that as you use your system, the card heats up and as it reaches 70°C, it pushes to power load over 150 watts and if you don't have all eight pins connected, the card can't get the power it needs and shuts your system down.

-Wolf sends
Thank you for awnsering, but i belive that it is not the problem with pins cuz they are well connected, before this nitro model i use right i now i was on the same card but the mining edition and it work just fine but i sold it a few years ago i brought this one recently and the same pins are in
Now the guy that sold this gpu to me told me that he was mining on it
When i asked him about this he told me about some bios flash stuff i dont rly know about
Is there a posibility that there is a bios gpu temp limit and if there is can i remove the limit or raise it somehow in bios?

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's possible that the card's mining BIOS does have a thermal limit. I don't know. The answer to that would be to find the original BIOS for your graphics card and reflash it.

Of course, I do NOT recommend this as if the BIOS flash fails, you no longer have a functioning graphics card. You should have had the seller reflash the card to it's original BIOS and tested it before you purchased it.

Given that is not an option any longer, your might want to see if someone you know, locally (with more experience) can do it for you. They'll likely be better prepared for and understand any issues that may arise.

If that is not an option, then get your "Google-Fu" going and start reading/watching videos. Also start searching for your card's original BIOS. I did find this from TechPowerUp, but I cannot verify it's authenticity or safety. Use at your own risk.

And just a reminder, even if successful, I have no idea if any of this will resolve your issue.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: DariusBrimstone
Solution
Aug 1, 2020

If that is not an option, then get your "Google-Fu" going and start reading/watching videos. Also start searching for your card's original BIOS. I did find this from TechPowerUp, but I cannot verify it's authenticity or safety. Use at your own risk.

And just a reminder, even if successful, I have no idea if any of this will resolve your issue.

-Wolf sends
Mister Wolf thank you very much i appreciate your help.