[SOLVED] PC Shuts down when i open a 3D program/game

Julian_30

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
My pc has the following components:
Core i5 2500
8GB ram
GTX 960 2gb

Nothing was wrong with it until i upgraded my 750ti to a 960. I was using a 350w PSU with the 750ti and switched it to a 400w one so it can handle the 960 (400w is the recommended). Both power supplies are pretty low-quality chinese brands (ouch, i know... it hurts to read that) so my first guess it the psu can't keep up with the power draw even if it's supposedly rated at the power i need. My second guess is that the gpu might be faulty but sounds less likely to me.
I'm also using a molex-6pin adapter for the gpu.
The pc just instantly shuts down.

I am only asking for a quick suggestion on how to proceed with the troubleshooting.

Solution
Until you install a decent quality psu you have to assume it’s the low quality junk unit you are using. Only after you have a good quality psu can you start to consider other causes. Cheap psu’s are never a good idea, never cheap out on the psu, it’s arguably the most important part of your pc.
Your PSU is not power full enough to power gpu on full load. When ever you run Games your GPU sucks power from PSU. but you PSU is so weak. It can't able to hand that power demand. And shuts down. The system.

To fix that get a good PSU rated above 500Watt. You can go in budget also. But keep in mind. Get Budget PSUs from Respected Coolermaster Corsair Antec or EVGA. Only

Reactions: Julian_30
Until you install a decent quality psu you have to assume it’s the low quality junk unit you are using. Only after you have a good quality psu can you start to consider other causes. Cheap psu’s are never a good idea, never cheap out on the psu, it’s arguably the most important part of your pc.

Reactions: Julian_30
Solution

Julian_30

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks all!
That's right... i borrowed a Corsair VS 550 until i buy a new one, cause that seemed to be the cause. It works perfectly and thank god it wasn't something wrong with the GPU.