PC shuts down when playing games

X-trah

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Hello, first I'm gonna state that English is not my first language, so apologies for typos and what not. Second, I know there're already half a million threads about this issue, but I couldn't find one that describes my problem.
Before hand, I'll leave my specs here:
MB Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU Intel i5 3570k (stock speed + stock fan)
RAM 8gb 1333MHz G-Skill (stock speed)
GPU Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Drivers are up to date)
PSU XFX XTR 750 +gold (750W)
OS Windows 10 64bits. (latest insider build I think).

Suddenly, about a week ago, my PC started shutting itself down while I was gaming. I thought it was an overheat from the CPU or something, but I tested with Prime95, got to 85 degrees C for about an hour and it never shutted itself down. However, try to play a game and within minutes the computer will shut, now it's pretty much instantly.
I'm going to clarify that by "shut down" I mean literally. It's not a restart, everything shuts down fans and lights and then turns on again, I think that's a motherboard feature, to turn the PC on again if you loose power for just a moment.

I did run Furmark and OCCT to test the GPU and we got a winner. The PC will shut after a couple of seconds or a minute, it varies, if you do stress tests. That led me to conclude it could either be the GPU or the PSU, but I don't know for sure and I'm puzzled because they're both pretty much new, the PSU, has about 1 and a half years of use and my GPU is 6 months old. The PSU itself is not some random underpowered budget unit either.

Now onto more specifics, I do not have another PSU to do tests. I only have a working old-as-jesus generic 400W something unit... and a dead OCZ 600, because that one died I bought the XFX one. But, I do have however another graphics card, my old 660Ti, with that one I did Furmark tests and what do you know, it passed, I let the thing run for half an hour plus Prime95 to push the thing to the limits and the computer was fine (85-87 ºC on the cpu, and 80 ºC on the gpu). That confused the heck out of me, the 660ti is stated to consume the same power as the 1070, could it be the PSU or the GPU then? I don't think a GPU can shut a computer down like that, if it's a failure it will restart like it happens with CPU overheats.
By the way, I never had BSOD, it's just a shut down like if I were to disconnect the cable from the wall. And I did check the connections and the usual, everything is just fine. I even tried a different PCI-E cable.
Another thing. I opened the case and put it on a desk to see what was going on, and I noticed that the PSU does a buzzing sound that increases when the GPU is on stress, that is indeed weird, I don't think it's supposed to do that. It's not even a consistent buzz sound, it's intermittent in some cases or increases or decreases, but it mainly depends on the GPU load.

My money is on the PSU, but obviously I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone can give me some insight here, I'm at lost at what it could be. I know a few things about computers, I build this one myself, but I'm no expert.

Solution
So yes, it was indeed the PSU. An oddity for a quality relatively new piece of equipment, but there you go.
I managed to get my old-as-jesus generic PSU to work with my 660 (thanks god for the molex-to-PCIe cables), since I needed the Graphics card in order to connect my monitor. Somehow that thing managed to power the whole system, I was even able to game, to my absolute surprise. So I ended up buying a Seasonic 750W bronze and be done with it. The PC is working normally ever since.

This thing can be flagged as Solved and hopefully it provides help for someone else in the future.

X-trah

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
So yes, it was indeed the PSU. An oddity for a quality relatively new piece of equipment, but there you go.
I managed to get my old-as-jesus generic PSU to work with my 660 (thanks god for the molex-to-PCIe cables), since I needed the Graphics card in order to connect my monitor. Somehow that thing managed to power the whole system, I was even able to game, to my absolute surprise. So I ended up buying a Seasonic 750W bronze and be done with it. The PC is working normally ever since.

This thing can be flagged as Solved and hopefully it provides help for someone else in the future.

Solution