Question PC Shuts Down When Running GPU-Intensive Games – Need Help!

Jun 22, 2023
Hi everyone,

I've posted about this issue a few times, but I'm still struggling to find a solution for my PC troubles. Here are my system specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F
  • Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H410M-K
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1650 (formerly RTX 2070 SUPER)
  • RAM: 1x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz + 1x 8GB Crucial 2666MHz
  • PSU: EVGA 750W BR
  • HDD: 1x 2TB + 1x 1TB
  • SSD: 1x 150GB + 1x 250GB
My problem is that my PC consistently shuts down when I try running GPU-intensive games. For instance, when I play games like Valorant or less demanding titles, everything runs smoothly without any issues. However, when I attempt to run more demanding games like Red Dead Redemption 2 (RDR2), my PC consistently shuts down after about 30 minutes of gameplay. Following the shutdown, it automatically restarts and takes me to a screen prompting me to press F1 to access the BIOS, where I've noticed that my XMP is turned off for some reason.

This issue initially cropped up when playing RDR2, and now it happens consistently. After this shutdown, I'm unable to play any other GPU-intensive games without experiencing the same problem.

I've already upgraded my PSU from a Be Quiet! Power 9 600W to an EVGA 750W in an attempt to fix the issue. Additionally, I downgraded my GPU from the RTX 2070 SUPER to the GTX 1650, but the problem persists.

I'm at a loss for what's causing this issue and how to resolve it. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Mixed RAM is not a good idea. You really should fit a matched (identical) pair from the same manufacturer.

The EVGA BR is a budget unit and may not fix the fault.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-budget-br-psu-series,37385.html

The suggested PSU rating for an RTX 2070 is at least 450W, so a good quality (stable) 650W should be more than adequate.

There's no harm in fitting a more powerful 750W unit, provided it's of good quality, but it's unlikely the extra 100W upgrade will make any difference.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2070.c3252

The EVGA BR is listed as Tier- C Low End in this list, so possibly not the best choice for a gaming rig.
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Similarly, the be quiet System Power 9 is also listed as Tier C - Low End.

It might be worth changing to a higher quality Tier B - Mid Range PSU, or better still, a Tier A - High End PSU from the list.

The first thing I'd do though is change the RAM.

Last edited:

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Dissimilar RAM modules run in Dual Channel mode will be less stable than a matched pair. Remove one DIMM and see if it improves stability.

The most important thing about an ATX PSU is its quality and ability to provide a clean stable supply on all the major DC rails.

Provided it has sufficient capacity to power your rig, it doesn't matter if it's rated at 550W, 650W, 750W, 850W or 1000W. Increasing the maximum power available will not make the system more stable.

The mobo, CPU and GPU will only consume the power they need.

In this graph of a test with a i3-10100 (similar to your i3-10100F) plus a more powerful RTX 2080 and a 103MHz BCLK CPU overclock, the whole system drew only 364W from the mains.

Allowing some headroom for high current GPU and CPU transients, you could possibly get away with a good quality Seasonic 500W PSU.

On the other hand, a really poor low quality PSU is always a gamble, regardless of how many Watts the manufacturer claims it's rated at.

A poor PSU is a bad choice, regardless of its Watt rating.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/18.html
power-gaming.png

Reactions: SoraKyo
Jun 22, 2023
Dissimilar RAM modules run in Dual Channel mode will be less stable than a matched pair. Remove one DIMM and see if it improves stability.

The most important thing about an ATX PSU is its quality and ability to provide a clean stable supply on all the major DC rails.

Provided it has sufficient capacity to power your rig, it doesn't matter if it's rated at 550W, 650W, 750W, 850W or 1000W. Increasing the maximum power available will not make the system more stable.

In this graph of a test with a i3-10100 (similar to your i3-10100F) plus a more powerful RTX 2080 and a 103MHz BCLK CPU overclock, the whole system drew only 364W from the mains.

Allowing some headroom for high current GPU and CPU transients, you could possibly get away with a good quality Seasonic 500W PSU.

On the other hand, a really poor low quality PSU is always a gamble, regardless of how many Watts the manufacturer claims it's rated at.

power-gaming.png
i will test my pc with one stick of ram but i checked that my psu was C tier in the tier list before i bought it

Jun 22, 2023

power-gaming.png
i used one stick of ram and I had the same issue so i guess my last option is to buy a new psu

Latest posts