PC shuts down when trying to wake from sleep.

jerryttt9

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Hello everyone:
I just recently built my first pc and I have some problem regarding about putting pc to sleep. My pc works fine and it does goes to sleep mode. However, once I try to wake it up by usb device. It starts to run a bit, but the fan won't spin. And after 2 or 3 seconds, it just shuts down by itself and restart.... I have no idea whats the problem..and I am sure its not the problem of the power supply and being overheat.

Hi,

Please do try changing the Power Option settings that may help.
- Open Power Options then click on Change Plan Settings then Change Advanced Power Settings.
- Expand Hard Disk then set Turn off Hard disk after to NEVER.
- Expand Sleep and set Allow hyrbid sleep to OFF.
- Set Hibernate after to NEVER.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

jerryttt9

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Thank you for your solution. But sadly it doesn't work. My pc still restarts when I try to wake it up. The system tries to wake up i think, but the screen doesn't pop up, the keyboard and mice light didn't start up either. Few seconds later, the system shuts down and reboot.

roflcopter34

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Got an almost identical issue. Sometimes it shuts down when coming out of sleep, sometimes it completely restarts. Oddly enough occasionally it exits sleep perfectly normally.

Astrix_au

Honorable
May 4, 2014
I had this exact issue and finally found a fix on my PC I have. ASUS Maximus VI Formula and i7 4770k.

Reset the motherboards bios settings to default. I pressed the reset button on the back of the motherboard where the I/o ports are. I did this while running and the PC restarted into the bios. I only changed what I absolutely needed to like disable cPU fan controller as I use Liquid cooler H80i and need to disable it not to get error messages. I changed nothing else and now finally I can wake my PC even after leaving it on sleep overnight.

I guess you can slowly make changes in BIOS and see what breaks the wake up function in S3 sleep. I think resetting from the BIOS might not be as good as the way I did it but might be the same as I’m sure I reset it in Bios but didn’t notice it fixed but then I could have changed something to trigger the issue again.