Question PC shuts down whenever I try to play Call of Duty - Is it my PSU?

Jun 17, 2022
Hi all

Recently built this PC for video editing and gaming.
I have posted a couple of questions already relating to why my PC would not power up which at the moment seems to be OK for now

My next issue I found is whenever I begin a call of duty game all seems fine when the title and screen credits appear etc but as soon as the gameplay starts the PC shuts off without any warning.

I am now wondering if it has something to do with my PSU that I originally thought was causing my initial problems of when my PC would not power up
I am still using my 7 year old PSU

This is my build:
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master
  • Processor
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Memory (part number)
    DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz, CMT128GX4M4E3200C16
  • Video Card # 1
    Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF
  • Hard Drive # 1
    Samsung 860 QVO 2TB SATA
  • Hard Drive # 2
    Corsair MP400 2TB
  • Hard Drive # 3
    Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA
  • Power Supply
    XTR 750 — 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular XFX PSU
  • Case
    4000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower - Black
  • Monitor
    3x ASUS PB287Q
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)

I do have a new Corsair RM850X but not tried it yet.

Any suggestions to what may be causing the PC to shutdown?

I have updated the Mobo bios, upgraded and updated Windows 11 and also updated all my drivers.
I have also tried various benchmarking tools but not found anything that I can see to be a problem

Cheers

Hey there,

How old is the XFX. Is that model from 2016? It seems it's a decent enough PSU, based on a Seasonic platform. It's possible it's failing if a few years old.

With that said, a lot of even good PSU's have issues with RTX cards due to transient power spikes. I'd go right ahead and pop in the RMx, and test. The Corsair seem to have less issues with RTX cards.

Did you clear CMOS after BIOS update?

Jun 17, 2022
The PSU is over 7 years old now

I'd go right ahead and pop in the RMx, and test. The Corsair seem to have less issues with RTX cards.

This will be my 4th Corsair PSU.
For some reason they all failed - blown fuses (I think) when I was troubleshooting my original not powering on problem.
I then found that my original PSU still worked even after I thought it failed.
That's what prompted me to upgrade to Corsair PSU's

The powering seems to have cleared itself now for some reason. I thought maybe I had a dodgy SSD so I reformatted and reinstalled windows.
That seems ok now but just the shutting down problem as soon as COD game starts
Did you clear CMOS after BIOS update?
I updated the BIOS but did not clear the CMOS. I take it you mean take out the battery and let the Bios reset?

The PSU is over 7 years old now

This will be my 4th Corsair PSU.
For some reason they all failed - blown fuses (I think) when I was troubleshooting my original not powering on problem.
I then found that my original PSU still worked even after I thought it failed.
That's what prompted me to upgrade to Corsair PSU's

The powering seems to have cleared itself now for some reason. I thought maybe I had a dodgy SSD so I reformatted and reinstalled windows.
That seems ok now but just the shutting down problem as soon as COD game starts

I updated the BIOS but did not clear the CMOS. I take it you mean take out the battery and let the Bios reset?

Take the battery out and short two pins to clear. You'll need your mobo manual to determine which two, if you haven't done it before. Then replace battery back in after 30 seconds or so. See how it fairs after that and Win OS re-install.

Jun 17, 2022
No, just that you've done it already, as part of this process.
I see my MOBO does have a CLR_CMOS jumper.
I will try that to reset the bios.

It does not say that I need to remove the battery when doing this, just power off and unplug the power

My GPU is covering my battery so will try this first so I don't have to remove it.