Question PC shuts down while playing and then has a weird behaviour

Jun 25, 2019
Hello.

Recently I've been experiencing some problems with my laptop . A while ago, I decided to switch to Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) just to try it. I removed windows and installed the new OS through a bootable flash drive following a guide from reddit. Everything went fine and I never had any problems. Then some friends convinced me to try Dota 2 and I decided to go back to Windows for some gaming during the summer period. Again, downloaded Windows 10 ISO from microsoft's website, bootable flash drive following their guide and all went well.

Then I installed Dota 2 and also League Of Legends. It was all running very smoothly except on both games my pc would shut down after 5/10 minutes of the game running. I eventually figured I didn't have my drivers updated and I thought I had fixed it. I switched to LoL and the past 2 days I played with no problems for 5/6 hours straight. However, today, after maybe 1 hour and 30 minutes of gameplay my pc shut down again without warnings.

After shutting down, it doesn't power on for about 5 minutes. After that, pressing the power button, turns on the keyboard's backlight but the screen remains black and it powers off immediately after. This happens for about 4/5 times in a row while only pressing the power button once. After these "cycles" it turns on normally.

Now, my specs are:
  • Laptop: Acer Aspire 7 A715-72G-74MN
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5
  • Ram: 8 gigs DDR4
  • Disk: 256 gigs SSD
  • Motherboard: Charmeleon_CFS V1.19 with serial number: NBGXB11002821341E63400
  • AC Adapter model : PA-1131-16
  • NVIDIA driver version: 430.86
  • Windows Updates: All up-to-date according to windows updater
  • Peripherals: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Lite keyboard + mouse pack & HyperX Cloud II headset connected via USB port
I've cleaned the dust from the fans, I've made sure my NVIDIA drivers and windows updates were all up to date. I've submitted the PC to some stress tests (cinebench and BurnInTest) and it "survived". I've checked the temperatures during gaming and during the stress tests using MSI afterburner. The CPU temps never passed 97-98ºC while oscilating between 75ºC and 95ºC most of the time. The GPU one's were always in the 70-77ºC range. The temps are always roughly the same while playing and at the time of the crash and I can normally play for 8/10 minutes after a shut down.

I also checked for corrupt system files and viruses and nothing came up. Finally I went to the event log and, at the time of the crash, I got 2 critical events with IDs 10111 and 10110 under Windows Logs > System and 1 Error with ID 1000 (regarding the application RAVBg64.exe) under Windows Logs > Application. Everything else had only Warnings or Information events and none matched the crash time. I made a LoL match and logged the readings from MSI afterburner and will supply the log file if needed.

Finally, I think it might be important to mention that, while playing, I have constant frame drops from over 200 fps to a 30-40. Besides this, before switching to Linux I used to play Fortnite all the time with Medium settings with constant 60fps and never had a problem even close to this.

I've scanned all over the internet for related topics and everything I find leads to PSU problems but I don't think I've found any behaviour quite like this. If this is of any importance, the laptop is pretty much always connected to the same outlet and there weren't any power outages or thunderstorms recently that could have potentially damaged the PSU.

If I'm doing anything besides gaming, the pc behaves normally.

I'm sorry for the long post but this is really my last resort, I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019
I think it could still be a temperature related issue. Try undervolting the i7-8750H to see if it becomes more stable. Otherwise It's a power related issue and you'd have to RMA it.

Thank you for your reply!
I googled a bit and did undervolt it to -0.130 and ran a 1h stress test. It passed and then I hoped into a LoL game. Temps seem to have lowered for roughly 3-4ºC but after ~20 minutes of gameplay same thing happened tho the frame drops stopped. It might really be the PSU.