Question PC shuts down while playing games (not psu)

Jun 12, 2019
Hi there, i'm about at the end of my rope. I Built my PC about a month ago, and this problem has been happening ever since i built it. All of the parts were freshly purchased except for my GPU, (which i used in my previous computer and had no issues with).My computer turns off while playing games (more specifically reboots as well) This can range anywhere from Dead space 1 (a non demanding title) to Destiny 2 or Apex. it could happen 2 minutes into the game, or 2 hours, doesn't matter. I get no warning, no shutdown screen, nothing. It is as if someone yanked the power cord out from the PC.

Specs:
Asus Prime Z370-A
I7-8700k (OC to 4.7Ghz)
Rx 470 4gb
16gb Corsair Vengeance (OC to 3200mhz)
Coolermaster ml240l AIO Cooler
EVGA 750w G3 Supernova
2TB hard drive
250gb SSD
500gb m.2

Here is what I've tried:
Replacing PSU - Previously used a Corsair CX750M
Removed CPU and ram OC
Checked all of my cables are securely in place
Did a fresh driver re-install on my GPU
Ran memtest, Fur Mark,Intel diagnose tool, and many stress tests (all components working correctly)
Checked Voltages

All of my temps are good. 70 degrees for the CPU under load and 60 for the GPU, the fan on my psu is operational and doesn't get hot under load. Any feedback would be appreciated as i am very frustrated and have no idea what the problem is.

My computer turns off while playing games (more specifically reboots as well)
If it turns off - this means either overheating or psu protections kicking in.
Reboot is basically BSOD with immediate restart.

So , if we're talking about reboots here, then firts thing is to turn off automatic reboot on system failure and examine provided info, when BSOD happens.
109014d1485973748-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a-bsod_auto_restart-2.png

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

Reactions: ConanLock
Jun 12, 2019
Do not use any overclocks (you say you removed them, for the moment you should keep it like that). Did this occur during the stress testing? Also, if you have multiple RAM modules, could you try one at a time, in each individual slot.

i've removed the overclocks and tried it with just ram stick in, with no success. shut down as usual. Also nothing happened during any of the stress tests, which is really odd to me.

Jun 12, 2019
I'd suggest that you uninstall the graphics card drivers, then download and install the latest ones from the AMD website here.

Other than that, do you legitimately own the games, or have you pirated them? Even No CD patches and other modified EXEs could be causing problems. I was using a No CD patch to get the original Call of Duty working on my Windows 10 PC for a while, and that caused huge instability in-game. When I stopped using the patch, and played with the disc the game never crashed again.

Jun 12, 2019
I'd suggest that you uninstall the graphics card drivers, then download and install the latest ones from the AMD website here.

Other than that, do you legitimately own the games, or have you pirated them? Even No CD patches and other modified EXEs could be causing problems. I was using a No CD patch to get the original Call of Duty working on my Windows 10 PC for a while, and that caused huge instability in-game. When I stopped using the patch, and played with the disc the game never crashed again.

Thanks for the advice, i'll do a fresh re-install again. all of my games are legitimate, so no problems there. I'll download the benchmarks you recommended, i'm honestly thinking its possible i got 2 faulty psu's out of the box

It could be possible. You can check voltages that your PSU is giving in the BIOS. However, as bad PSUs often fail under load, this won't really tell you much. I'd suggest that you download CPUID to monitor voltages in game. Download and install it, then run it making sure you can see the options for 12v, 5v etc. While it is running, open whatever game you want to play, set it to windowed mode and adjust the resolution so that you can see the CPUID window too. Now turn the graphics up a little bit if possible to make up for the lowered resolution. If my science knowledge is correct, when the amps increase (ie under load while gaming) the voltage will drop. On a perfectly working PSU, it can compensate for this, and the voltages stay stable. However, if your PSU is bad, you might notice a drop in these voltages, possibly to the point where your system has to turn off/restart.
On another note, have you run a virus scan? If not, check out Malwarebytes. It's free, and widely regarded as one of the best. Note that you will get a 14 day free trial fro the premium version when you first download and run it.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I had the exact same problem a week ago with my CX750M PSU. I RMA'd the PSU and although it boots like it did before, my GPU card does not work when plugged into the PSU now. I'd offer more help if I could get my PC to boot, but without the GPU I cannot get a monitor. Sorry I can't be more help

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019