PC shuts down while playing high end games like Doom, Dark Souls 3, but works perfectly fine while surfing, or playing DotA 2.

manhatti Zee

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
I cleaned my PC a few days ago, and after re-assembling and setting everything up, I booted the pc. Everything was working quite normally. I play a lot of DotA 2, and the game was working without a single issue. There is a demo mode in DotA 2, in which you can spawn bots, items etc. to experiment with or to preview cosmetics. I spawned like 20 bots, and started casting different spells on them. 10 seconds after, my PC froze, and shut down.

I posted this in r/DotA2, just to see if it was a common bug or some issue on my end. It was only on my end. No other player experianced this.

1 Day later, I got bored of DotA 2 and started playing Doom. I was able to play for about 2 minutes, and then the game crashed the same way as it was crashed earlier. I got suspicious, and tried playing Dark Souls 3, and again, crashed the same way, after 1 minute. I also tried running 3DMARK benchmark to see what happens, the PC crashed the moment benchmark started running.

There is also a game called Spellbreak, which is in beta testing, which also causes the PC to crash, despite being low end in terms of graphics.

I tried these things to fix this issue.

I first reapplied the thermal paste to CPU carefully with dot method, and tried playing the games to see if it was CPU tempreture issue, it was not. I then checked all the cables, and also checked if the PSU fan was spinning or not, it was running perfectly. I also tried changing the PCIE power cable of the GPU to the extra one. I monitored the tempretures again. And here's when I saw something strange.

Idle temps - CPU : 35 to 40, GPU, 40 to 45 DotA 2 temps - CPU : 40 to 45, GPU : 60 to 70

Doom, DS3, Spellbreak temps - CPU : 45 to 55, GPU : Jumps from idle 40 to straight upto 82, 87, 90, 93.

Even when I started the game right after the windows was loaded, the GPU temps would shoot rapidly to 85 and 90. I checked the GPU fans, they are running properly (sucks the air towards the processor). I was reading these temps on HWMoniter, I also checked on GPU-Z, and the same thing was happening.

I then re-installed the AMD graphics drivers and tried again, no difference in results. So I turned on the AMD chill mode, that resulted in about 7 to 8 degrees less tempreture, but the crash still occured.

What should I do?

P.S. : The DotA 2 game sessions are 1 hour long each game, and I have played around 8 matches since I cleaned my PC, with no issues, and yet these other games are crashing, that's what confusing me. CSGO is also working without any issues.

When I play Doom, The game stutters when looking at multiple demons, particle effects, and runs smoothly when looking at walls. This might sound like a low end PC issue, but the game used to give me solid 80-90 fps at ultra settings before I cleaned my PC.

Here is my build -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - G1.Sniper B7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($179.99 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card ($245.00)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - VS 550W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($124.79 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: BenQ - GW2470H 23.8" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor
Total: $957.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-05 12:25 EDT-0400

Solution
You can go purchase a power supply, use it for testing, hold on to the receipt and make use of the return policy if the VS isn't the issue.
But that's the only way to find out.

manhatti Zee

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

I have a question, If my power supply is failing, should that only affect to games with high performance usage, or should it affect overall everything? The Dota 2 and CSGO games run without any issues for hours, My PC still stays on overnight.

Can I test the PSU myself?

manhatti Zee

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

I checked everything I can. PC otherwise runs excellently, only when I try to play high end game like Doom, It shuts down.

Yeah, throw it in the garbage, that's the only test you need to do.

Then buy a good PSU.

TRENDING THREADS