Question PC Shuts down while starting a game

Jul 10, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently transported my PC from one city to another (Bangalore- Kolkata) in India. It worked perfectly fine, running all games smooth while it was in Bangalore. But since, in Kolkata, I am trying to play any game and the PC keeps shutting down. Is it possible that something maybe have internally damaged the PSU during the transport?
The PC is working otherwise fine, it is only during running a game is the PC shutting down.

My PC Specs :

GTX 1070
8GB RAM
Intel Core i7 -3770
600W PSU

Any leads would be really helpful.

Edit : View: https://imgur.com/a/v5NPcSF
-> This contains the pictures of the inside of my Cabinet.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Always check components after moving a PC. It doesn't take much to effect cards & coolers due to their weight.
I would make sure the cooler is not loose, reseat the GPU, reseat the ram, & check all power connections.
Make sure the power cord is unplugged from the wall or the switch on the PSU is off before opening your PC to work inside.

Reactions: jammerroy
Jul 10, 2020
Always check components after moving a PC. It doesn't take much to effect cards & coolers due to their weight.
I would make sure the cooler is not loose, reseat the GPU, reseat the ram, & check all power connections.
Make sure the power cord is unplugged from the wall or the switch on the PSU is off before opening your PC to work inside.

Thank you so much, I checked all the power connections and re plugged all the components. Everything is working absolutely fine now.

Thank you once again!

Jul 10, 2020

Hey! Just an update, that although i did all of the above and it looked like the games were running fine, but it lasted for about 15-20 mins and the PC started shutting down again.

I tried a few benchmark softwares and some trouble shooting videos. While my PC didn't shut down using CIneBenchmark ( which pushes the CPU ) , the PC did shut down while running the Heaven BenchMark (which pushes the GPU). I have checked the temperatures as well and doesn't seem like an overheating issue. Can you please help me understand where the problem may reside?

jammerroy Does the PC shut off completely, or does it restart? Isn't Kolkata 5C warmer on average than Bangalore? What I "think" is going on is that your CPU is thermal throttling to the point of restarting your system, as a protection. To test this, do the following: open the side of your computer case, then tilt it on it's side, so that the motherboard faces the ceiling. Then run whatever game or application had the computer restart before. If the restarts don't happen then there's a good chance that my theory is correct. You could also point a fan toward the motherboard, to further test this theory.

Also, I recommend that you take two photos of the inside of your case, upload them to imgur, and share the links here. The first photo would be of the entire inside of your computer case, showing motherboard, and fans, so that we can get a good idea of airflow. The second photo would be of your power supply's label, to see it's specs.

Jul 10, 2020
jammerroy Does the PC shut off completely, or does it restart? Isn't Kolkata 5C warmer on average than Bangalore? What I "think" is going on is that your CPU is thermal throttling to the point of restarting your system, as a protection. To test this, do the following: open the side of your computer case, then tilt it on it's side, so that the motherboard faces the ceiling. Then run whatever game or application had the computer restart before. If the restarts don't happen then there's a good chance that my theory is correct. You could also point a fan toward the motherboard, to further test this theory.

Also, I recommend that you take two photos of the inside of your case, upload them to imgur, and share the links here. The first photo would be of the entire inside of your computer case, showing motherboard, and fans, so that we can get a good idea of airflow. The second photo would be of your power supply's label, to see it's specs.

Hey.

My PC is shutting down completely and not restarting. It is in fact taking a few minutes to actually start again post this sudden shut down. Also, yes, Kolkata is warmer than Bangalore generally. But would that suddenly cause an issue? Cause I used to stay here in Kolkata about 7 years back, with a similar PC and never faced such issues.
I will try what you have said, by tilting the computer and running the game/application and also send the photos of the inside of my case.

Edit : I have uploaded the pictures on Imgur and shared the link in the main description of the issue.
Please take a look and let me know. Any help would be really appreaciated.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS