PC shuts itself down and immediately reboots when under load

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
My PC turns off during gaming sometimes. It always reboots itself immediately after. It does this exclusively while gaming, and apparently without pattern. I've stress tested the CPU and everything was fine.

I'm not overclocking and nothing is overheating. My CPU never goes higher than 75 and my GPU not much higher than 65. I wouldn't know if my PSU was overheating because I don't have a way to measure the temperature of it, but I opened it up and dusted it out thoroughly yesterday, unfortunately to no avail.

It has been happening since around 2 weeks ago and I haven't made any changes to hardware, or any significant changes to software.

Specs:
Intel i5 4690k
16GB Corasir Vengeance
AMD r9 380 4GB
Gigabyte H97M-HD3
Corsair VS 550W PSU (wattage more than sufficient for the other parts)

I'm left scratching my head. My PC seems to be functioning perfectly, both in practice and on paper, aside from this one issue. Anyone got any ideas?

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018

It's around 3 years old. It has been used for 2 years of that time.

It has a 5 year warranty though, and hasn't been abused, so I don't see why that would be the problem.

I do have another PSU I can use to test, but I think it would be pointless because the wattage barely covers that of my PC

Reboots under high loads (provided temps are OK, and they seem to be) clearly indicate a PSU as a most likely cause. The VS line is a quite bad quality even when new, and after several years it might have started to act up. Test with a different PSU by all means.

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018

I already did this a few weeks ago before there were problems. I maintain my PC well.

irsaxu

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018

I just tested it with a newer and more powerful PSU. Same problems...