[SOLVED] PC Shuts off and restarts after installing New GPU

May 19, 2019
So I got a very good deal on a used Gigabyte r9 270 and gambled it.

Everything works perfectly with this card except when I'm Gaming.When I play heavy games, the pc shuts off completely as if I had pulled the power plug.But eventually it restarts and works as before.This was on Windows 10.I installed win 7 on it and the same thing except the Display goes off and GPU fans stop spinning and the HDD light stops blinking and then restarts the same way but after 15 or so seconds.

When I underclock it to around 650mhz,no problems so far.Not even when I'm gaming.
I always monitor things with MSI afterburner and never saw GPU going over 70C or the CPU going over 60C

Here are my specs:
CPU:Intel Xeon E3 1220v2 @3.1Ghz

GPU:Gigabyte R9 270(This one needs 2x6 pin PCIe power even though it's not the 'X' model)

PSU:Corsair VS450 450W
Motherboard: Asrock B75M
RAM:2x8 GB Adata @1600mhz

Sorry for the huge post 🙂

Solution
Unfortunately I don't have any friends around me to test the PSU.But it works fine with a 750ti which doesn't even need a 6pin power though.

A 750TI doesn't require or draw a lot of power even on a full load. Your R9-270 does require a lot more power to run it, which means that a PSU like the Corsair VS won't cut it.

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
You should download GPU-Z and monitor your power draw, as 450w might not be enough for that card. Seeing as how you underclocked and the shutdowns stopped, this is most likely a power issue.

May 19, 2019
Just looked up the 270 and reviews are recommending a 500w. Add to this that the VS450 is a poor quality psu and the issues described sound similar to those caused by a psu problem I would say the psu is the most likely cause.
Well I think that too but I just need a confirmation 😅

May 19, 2019
You should download GPU-Z and monitor your power draw, as 450w might not be enough for that card. Seeing as how you underclocked and the shutdowns stopped, this is most likely a power issue.
Yeah I would change the PSU if it's the real problem. I'm just waiting for some more opinion 🐸

May 19, 2019
It's entirely possible that the PSU is the problem. I would double check and make sure that it works in another system or check the rig with another PSU to make sure that it is indeed the power supply.
Unfortunately I don't have any friends around me to test the PSU.But it works fine with a 750ti which doesn't even need a 6pin power though.

May 19, 2019
A 750TI doesn't require or draw a lot of power even on a full load. Your R9-270 does require a lot more power to run it, which means that a PSU like the Corsair VS won't cut it.
I guess I must change the PSU now.Can you please suggest me how powerful it needs to be to handle this GPU?