Question PC shuts off and then reboots when playing games

Jun 3, 2020
So, I've been having this problem for about a week now. I just built a new system and it was working fine, no problems whatsoever until I added an addition HDD in there.

At first whenever I would start up a game it would freeze for a second and then shut down and restart my system. Even downloading files would do this, even if it wasn't to the new HDD I just installed like I mentioned earlier. I couldn't run Heaven for benchmarking as well.

Now, it seems I can start up a game just fine but about 30-60 minutes in of playing it will again shut down. The shutting down when downloading files and running Heaven seems to have fixed itself though.

I have an overclocked GPU and CPU but I reset the overclock for the GPU and this still happens. Maybe I overclocked my CPU with too much voltage? Also even with the overclocked GPU and CPU, my temps aren't horrendous. On Ultra settings with 1440p in Heaven temps never reached above 77 Celsius under full load.

Here's my specs. Everything is brand new except for the aforementioned 4 TB HDD I installed from an older build and the power supply is from that build as well, but it's only a year old and a pretty trustworthy PSU.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 3900X - currently overclocked to 4.1 Ghz with stock cooler
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 16 GB - 2 x 8
Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME SSD - 250 GB
WD Blue 4 TB HDD - (This is the hard drive I installed after I finished building the system)
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD
EVGA 20180 TI Black - current overclocked to 1500 Mhz GPU clock and 2025 Mhz memory clock
Corsair RMx 80+ Gold Fully Modular - 750 W

If anybody can help me with this that would be awesome. It sucks to spend so much time and money on this system and I'm not able to play games with it.

Thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS