PC shuts off and won't turn back on until PSU unplugged

ryham

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Over the past two or three days, my PC has been randomly shutting off with no warning, under both stress and idle. Once this has happened, my PC will not power back on until I've removed the power cable and reattached it; it will usually boot up again with no problems, although once it managed to boot without having to mess with the PSU and I was presented with the power surge screen, before being taken to the bios and then the typical boot process. The PC refusing to turn on after turning off makes me feel like it may be an issue with my CPU overheating, which I have noticed lately it is getting quite high, and my motherboard turning it off, rather than my PSU having a fault. I'll include a link to my specs and their temps at idle below.

https://i.imgur.com/0ZjUD7j.png

Solution
Sounds like a bad PSU if you got that power surge screen.

Edit: Also this isn't a wait and see issue. A surging PSU can destroy every component in the computer. It's more of a stop using the computer until you replace it.

ryham

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

Pre-emptively ordered a replacement the moment it first happened, it should be here tomorrow. But as for the CPU, does it look like there isn't really a problem there?

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
I agree with beloved patriot, clean out fans, gpu, motherboard, and especially psu get a lot of air in there and blow out any dust, it can actually arc in there and cause shutdown. Clean that thang! :)