PC Shuts off at Windows 10 splash screen and when waking from sleep

SyniZure

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
When I first start my PC and it gets to the Windwos 10 boot logo screen, it shuts off after about 2 seconds every time, then when I turn it on again it boots fine. It also shuts off when I wake the PC from sleep, so sleep is useless. Nothing else causes the PC to shut off, I play games fine, export HD video in Adobe Premiere fine, the highest i've seen the CPU temps go is about 40 degrees C. I tried two different power supplies, both of which were tested with a multimeter and with a tester tool and work fine, same result. Tried with and without my two HDDs, one at a time also, same thing. With and without my GPU, same thing. My boot is on an M.2 SSD, which is new and my pc has been doing this before I installed my SSD, but didn't do it right away when I installed it and fresh Windows 10. Any ideas? Could my Windows be causing this because at one point I had Ubuntu installed and it never once shut off booting that. Here are my full specs:

ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
Intel i7-7700k Kaby Lake
2 x 8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-2400
ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo
Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler
EVGA Supernova 750W G2
WD Green 1TB HDD
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD

This has proven to be a real conundrum for me, any help would be greatly appreciated. My old PC started doing this and it killed it's motherboard. I built a fresh PC and only carried over the HDD's, still get the same thing happening; I bought an SSD and installed a fresh Windows, it was fine then day or two and it started again. And for arguments sake I ran both Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, both came back with nothing. And in regards to the sleep, I have wake timers, hybrid sleep, and hibernate disabled.

neatfeatguy

Respectable
May 24, 2016
Some people have had issues with utilizing Sleep function in Windows, but I've never really come across any issues in my builds. I used sleep when I ran Vista and now with Win 7.

Sleep takes your information and stores it in RAM until you tell the system to wake up - which is why things are pretty fast to load up since access to RAM is quick and plus the OS doesn't have to reload everything like it does from a cold start.

If you're having problems with Sleep (or even powering your computer on), it could be an issue with your RAM or simply an issue with Windows. You could try running Memtest86 to see if it catches any issues with your RAM. Folks suggest you test one stick at a time and most folks say at least 1 hour...I personally like to test 1 stick for as long as I can so I'll run Memtest86 overnight while I sleep and then I'd run the test on the other stick while I'm out at work for the day. I have had no errors come up until a few hours into it, so that's why I like to let it run for an extended period of time.

You could also try running sfc /scannow from the command prompt. Maybe the system file checker will locate bad/missing files it needs to replace.

SyniZure

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
I doubt that it's the RAM because it was happening with my old build as well and that had different memory, but I will certainly give both of those suggestions a shot, thanks for your help!