[SOLVED] PC Shuts Off Completely When Playing Games

Dec 23, 2020
So as of recently, my PC has begun to shut down when playing games and only games. I can do normal tasks just perfectly fine but when I play a game my PC completely shuts down. My games run perfectly fine, there are no stutters or frame drops, none of that.
Someone had told me it was an overheating issue OR a PSU issue, but my CPU, GPU, and other components don't go past 70C.

My PC shuts down whenever I'm into a game by a couple of minutes, say around 10 minutes, and then the PC boots off.

also as an extra side note, the PSU I am currently using also fails to pass the paper clip/jumpstart test.

Could my PSU actually be the culprit or is it something else?

Solution
If it’s not temps it’s more than likely your PSU.

Though it’s not the case in this situation since you mentioned it’s a new development, 500W is just barely sufficient - try to get a 600W+ when you do replace it.

I’ve had the CM Bronze series fail on me more than twice. EVGA is a better brand in my experience.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So as of recently, my PC has begun to shut down when playing games and only games. I can do normal tasks just perfectly fine but when I play a game my PC completely shuts down. My games run perfectly fine, there are no stutters or frame drops, none of that.
Someone had told me it was an overheating issue OR a PSU issue, but my CPU, GPU, and other components don't go past 70C.

My PC shuts down whenever I'm into a game by a couple of minutes, say around 10 minutes, and then the PC boots off.

also as an extra side note, the PSU I am currently using also fails to pass the paper clip/jumpstart test.

Could my PSU actually be the culprit or is it something else?

Crashes at load tend to be temperature or PSU. PSU would be the next culprit, though how likely also comes down to what the exact PSU is. There's a reason that people supply full specs with their questions!

Dec 23, 2020
Crashes at load tend to be temperature or PSU. PSU would be the next culprit, though how likely also comes down to what the exact PSU is. There's a reason that people supply full specs with their questions!
I apologize for the lack of specs!
Ryzen 7 3800XT
Nvidia 2060 RTX
G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200mhz
Cooler Master 500W Bronze PSU

Also with the temps I had monitored them when under heavy load and they barely reached 70C

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016

Though it’s not the case in this situation since you mentioned it’s a new development, 500W is just barely sufficient - try to get a 600W+ when you do replace it.

I’ve had the CM Bronze series fail on me more than twice. EVGA is a better brand in my experience.

Solution
Dec 23, 2020

I actually got a 850w Gold 80+ Super Flower Leadex iii PSU coming in a week!I know it’s overkill but I snagged it for like $125 off Newegg so it was quite the deal!

im probably just going to stay away from games for the time being until this new PSU comes in, or should I just take out the PSU and just wait for the new one to come in?

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
850W gives you plenty of room for future upgrades. I rather have too much power than just adequate - so you’re good.

If I were you I’d keep the PC off until the new PSU is installed. Otherwise use it only for light loads.

Dec 23, 2020
850W gives you plenty of room for future upgrades. I rather have too much power than just adequate - so you’re good.

If I were you I’d keep the PC off until the new PSU is installed. Otherwise use it only for light loads.
I was thinking the same thing, I only really use it as of now to check on tracking statuses or looking through forums

also thank you so much for the help and feedback I really appreciate it!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Far better PSU than the one you originally had! Even if it doesn't resolve the issue, you really needed the upgrade; there are few Cooler Master PSUs that are desirable and this wasn't one of them. Super Flower is the manufacturer that was behind EVGA's G2/G3 series and the old Rosewill Capstones before Newegg got cheap. The Leadex platform has generally been a really good one.

Given that you're having actual problems that could be power-related, I wouldn't run the PC unless you need to. Certainly no gaming.

Dec 23, 2020
Far better PSU than the one you originally had! Even if it doesn't resolve the issue, you really needed the upgrade; there are few Cooler Master PSUs that are desirable and this wasn't one of them. Super Flower is the manufacturer that was behind EVGA's G2/G3 series and the old Rosewill Capstones before Newegg got cheap. The Leadex platform has generally been a really good one.

Given that you're having actual problems that could be power-related, I wouldn't run the PC unless you need to. Certainly no gaming.
Yeah I think buying a more reliable PSU is definitely worth the money seeing as (from what I’ve seen online) a bad PSU can really mess up your other components

also I think I’m going to stay away from using the PC at all, because just today 5-10 minutes into starting it up it shut down again :/