[SOLVED] PC Shuts Off Completely Without Warning

Aug 19, 2020
Basically, my PC is built by myself, it is 6 months old and every single component was bought brand new. My system specs are as followed,
MB : B450M D3SH
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 2700
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 1660ti
Power Supply : Termaltake TR2 Series 500w
RAM : 2x8 Hyper X Sticks of ram (16gb)

So basically, when I built my PC everything was fine, a month or so down the line, my PC would just completely shut down instantly without warning, as if there was a power cut, I would be using the computer generally or playing games and everything would shut down and go black. I would then need to switch off the PSU and switch it back on to power it back up. The thing is, after it had suddenly shut down and I powered it back up, I could use it as normal again for a couple hours before it happened again. This happened for a couple weeks and stopped suddenly, now recently, as of yesterday it started to do it again, shut down instantly without warning and everything gone black. Today, it did it again once, and now the PC will not turn back on. My case fans are connected through PWM, when I switch on the PSU and press the case power button, the rgb fans would light up for a milisecond and then turn off. There is no longer a orange power light on my MB, and I stripped the PC and cleaned everything component and then out them back in and tested everything again, nothing. This time it doesn't event flicker the case lights, and there is no MB light indicating the MB is receiving power. I have no idea what to do, any help would be appreciated.

PS: I really hope that if it is the PSU, that after all of that turning on and off for about 6 months and now that it won't turn on, that I didn't fry any components.

Solution
I would say PSU, it would have a "safety net" that would allow it to power off without damaging your other components but this has been happening for a while and you did nothing so it is possible that the Mobo, SDD or GPU could have not emerged unschated from continual power outages. The CPU itself is unlikely to have been affected.

The Thermaltake PSU you have has been on the market for a few years now and while not what I would consider awful PSU it is a budget option. It may have been sitting on a shelf for sometime....

This article may help you better diagnose if your PSU is gone or not...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PS: I really hope that if it is the PSU, that after all of that turning on and off for about 6 months and now that it won't turn on, that I didn't fry any components.
Wel lthe Thermaltake TR2 is a poor quality PSU (assuming it's not the newer Gold version for example). So my initial indications of random shutdowns would likely point there. And even if it WASN'T the PSU, I'd swap it anyway before it does cause problems.

Reactions: Jeff1999
Unfortunately it’s a poor quality psu, it should have been replaced at the first sign of trouble. This sounds typical of a failing psu and it’s a bad unit but could be something else. Assuming it is the psu you won’t know if it’s caused more damage until you get a replacement, only good thing is it will be under warranty and hopefully it covers the pc and not just the psu.

I would say PSU, it would have a "safety net" that would allow it to power off without damaging your other components but this has been happening for a while and you did nothing so it is possible that the Mobo, SDD or GPU could have not emerged unschated from continual power outages. The CPU itself is unlikely to have been affected.

The Thermaltake PSU you have has been on the market for a few years now and while not what I would consider awful PSU it is a budget option. It may have been sitting on a shelf for sometime....

Solution
Aug 19, 2020
Unfortunately it’s a poor quality psu, it should have been replaced at the first sign of trouble. This sounds typical of a failing psu and it’s a bad unit but could be something else. Assuming it is the psu you won’t know if it’s caused more damage until you get a replacement, only good thing is it will be under warranty and hopefully it covers the pc and not just the psu.

Well I think the warranty only covers the actual PSU itself because it bought all components separately. But I don't even think it's worth using that warranty to get the same PSU back if it's a poor quality PSU, I'm currently looking into another higher quality and higher wattage PSU. Thank you.

Aug 19, 2020

When this first happened I initially thought it was the PSU so I looked mine up and seen bad reviews but just shakes it off as it would work fine after powering back on but then shut off again a couple days later. But now that it doesn't power back on at all, and that there's no MB light indicating power, I'm afraid that I've fried the MB. But if that's not the case and it's the case of just the power supply finally dieing out and completely dead PSU I'll be happy with purchasing a newer more reliable one.

Aug 19, 2020
Wel lthe Thermaltake TR2 is a poor quality PSU (assuming it's not the newer Gold version for example). So my initial indications of random shutdowns would likely point there. And even if it WASN'T the PSU, I'd swap it anyway before it does cause problems.

I believer the PSU was a Termaltake TR2 Series 500w White version, so I personally think that might be the problem , I'm looking into purchasing a new PSU tomorrow and I'll test it out, if everything works out I'll let you all know, if not then it's most likely the case that it was the PSU to begin with, but I waited to long and unfortunately fried my components.

Aug 19, 2020
We live and learn, there are many posts here with similar issues, the next time don't wait 5 months !!! Hope it works out for you and let us know the outcome.

Yes haha I promise I won't wait 5 months next time, I'm new to PC and even though I do know alot about component problems and issues, this one had me baffled and I guess I learned from you guys so thank you very much for your help and I will reply here tomorrow with the outcome.

Well I think the warranty only covers the actual PSU itself because it bought all components separately. But I don't even think it's worth using that warranty to get the same PSU back if it's a poor quality PSU, I'm currently looking into another higher quality and higher wattage PSU. Thank you.
I’ve never looked at a Thermaltake psu warranty but other brands that produce higher quality psu’s have warranties that cover the whole pc. The psu is the one component that can damage any other connected component. If damage has been caused to other components definitely take it up with Thermaltake. If no other damage then forget it, you don’t want a replacement from them.

Aug 19, 2020
I’ve never looked at a Thermaltake psu warranty but other brands that produce higher quality psu’s have warranties that cover the whole pc. The psu is the one component that can damage any other connected component. If damage has been caused to other components definitely take it up with Thermaltake. If no other damage then forget it, you don’t want a replacement from them.

Okay, also the thing is I still have the warranty on my PSU, but can't find the original box it came in, do I need the original box or will the PSU warranty do just fine?

Aug 19, 2020
Depends on the manufacturer and your location. Best thing to do is start the warranty claim and see what they say.

At the moment all I have is the PSU with the sticker on it that says "If removed, warranty is void" so that means I still have warranty but do I need any extra documentation or do I need the original box it came in?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
At the moment all I have is the PSU with the sticker on it that says "If removed, warranty is void" so that means I still have warranty but do I need any extra documentation or do I need the original box it came in?
Yeah that's what I mean, some manufacturers want you to send everything back in the same condition, some want just the unit, and this varies by location. Once you open a warranty claim they'll stipulate how they want it sent back and you can clarify if they're happy to accept it without the original box (which I imagine they will be)

bignastyid

Titan
Will likely just need the receipt. Problem with RMAing the TR2 is you'll get another TR2 and you don't want another TR2. Imho it isn't worth the cost of shipping it back.

Hope it didn't fry anything as TR2's have been known to kill things. Seen the aftermath of a couple of TR2 failures and it wasn't good, systems were pretty much complete loses.

Aug 19, 2020
Will likely just need the receipt. Problem with RMAing the TR2 is you'll get another TR2 and you don't want another TR2. Imho it isn't worth the cost of shipping it back.

Hope it didn't fry anything as TR2's have been known to kill things. Seen the aftermath of a couple of TR2 failures and it wasn't good, systems were pretty much complete loses.

Well there goes my anxiety shy high lmao, you can probably tell from my specs that everything together cost me at the time €980ish so I'm really hoping that it's just the PSU and that it didn't fry my components.

bignastyid

Titan
Well there goes my anxiety shy high lmao, you can probably tell from my specs that everything together cost me at the time €980ish so I'm really hoping that it's just the PSU and that it didn't fry my components.
When I first got into building(~2 decades ago) I used the PSU that came with the case and after a couple months it took out the motherboard and gpu. So it's a lesson I learned the hard way.

Aug 19, 2020
When I first got into building I used the PSU that came with the case and after a couple months it took out the motherboard and gpu. So it's a lesson I learned the hard way.

The thing is I purchased this PSU separately, but do you think there's a high chance that it fried my gpu and Mobo?

Aug 19, 2020
Low quality is low quality whether it comes with the case or bought separately.

There is a chance I wouldn't call it high though, moderate maybe, there are definitely worse/more dangerous PSU's out there.

Update: Unfortunately there wasn't any local stores in my city that were selling the power supply's so I ordered one off Amazon, the PSU I ordered is called "Corsair TXM Series 750W TX750M ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply" so hopefully that does the job and hopefully it works on my PC and doesn't cause me the same issues (that's if the previous PSU didn't fry my components)

Aug 19, 2020
Now that is a much better PSU for your pc, solid build, good caps and overall a major upgrade on your old TT.

Yes, thank you, but now my only major fear is that I hope that crap PSU didn't fry my components, because I also forgot to mention, when I turned my PC on 2 days ago also, I noticed performance issues and under the "This PC properties" section it said my PC was only recognizing 7.95GB of ram installed when I had 16GB installed, so I reseated the ram in different positions and it fixed it. Idk, thought that was weird, but the next day, whole thing just gone. Also what I think is weird is that the motherboard had no light indicating power but the case power button light was on and wouldn't do anything which I thought was weird.