[SOLVED] Pc shuts off in its own

Dec 26, 2021
Alright so last night someone kinda bumped into my computer and it turned off. After I turned it back on it loaded and said diagnosing repair then shut off. I replaced the PSU and it now loads into windows and I can login but it still shuts off a few minutes after running. Any ideas? My last thought would be the motherboard maybe?

Specs: Intel Core i5
Asrock z390 phantom
2 8gb sticks of g.skill ram
Cool master cpu cooler
Evga supernova 750 G+ (new psu just installed when ran into problem)

Solution
A power supply can "just shut off" if something is not stable, but if it isn't caused by the power supply, then the problem is a triple hardware exception. If there are enough software and/or hardware faults, and if the CPU cannot guarantee lack of corrupting everything, then it is considered safer to simply shut down.

Choices are:
  • Power supply not stable.
  • Power consumers (e.g., motherboard or component on motherboard) not stable in power draw.
  • Software corruption leads to a state the CPU must power down in to avoid complete corruption.
If it is a software issue, then you can probably clone your hard drive to save content on another computer, and then reinstall to gain stability. Someone else might know of ways...
A power supply can "just shut off" if something is not stable, but if it isn't caused by the power supply, then the problem is a triple hardware exception. If there are enough software and/or hardware faults, and if the CPU cannot guarantee lack of corrupting everything, then it is considered safer to simply shut down.

Choices are:
  • Power supply not stable.
  • Power consumers (e.g., motherboard or component on motherboard) not stable in power draw.
  • Software corruption leads to a state the CPU must power down in to avoid complete corruption.
If it is a software issue, then you can probably clone your hard drive to save content on another computer, and then reinstall to gain stability. Someone else might know of ways to "repair" rather than clone, but cloning first will make your content available later in case something goes wrong. Cloning is not really needed for people who do regular backups (in which case the backup could be used and the new reinstall could be avoided).

Do note that if the hard drive is a mechanical old style drive with spinning platters and a head which crosses over the platters, then any bump while there is hard drive activity could cause hardware failure of the drive. Typically a head crash could wipe an entire drive clean, but a brief bounce of the head could also cause large amounts of corrupt data which the drive cannot recover from (and particles floating around in the drive would rapidly degrade any remaining working hard drive platter). My thought is that the odds are fairly high that the drive is now failing, but if you were to put that drive on a Linux box you could access the smart drive content and ask the drive if it is failing. You could also clone from a Linux box even if the drive is partially failed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS