Question Pc shuts off instantly while gaming

Apr 12, 2023
It only happens in certain games, I noticed it's never happened on steam games which I have all installed on a separate ssd

The shut off is instant the pc will only power back on once the psu is switched off then back on

I have checked all connections are secure and monitored thermals which seems normal, prime95 gets the r9 7950x as high as 97c but im told this is normal for this cpu, no shut off and hwinfo64 shows no thermal throttling

I have a rma out for the psu, but I'm skeptical if this is the problem

Specs
R9 7950x
Msi rtx 4090
X2 32gb ddr5 corsair dominator
X2 980 pto ssd m.2
Evga 1300w gold gp+

Apr 12, 2023
I would say you mage the right choice with the PSU RMA.
Thanks I hope it is, I have also noticed when booting up my rbg strips flicker for a few seconds, also I have a nasty coil whine that only happens in certain games and worse in others but I'm assuming the coil whine is from the 4090 and probably has nothing to do with the problem

Apr 12, 2023
Maybe it only happens with demanding games? In this case yes its likely the PSU. If the new psu doesn't fix the issue try replacing/rma the rtx 4090.
Ghostwire Tokyo, atomic heart, and forza horizon 5 caused it to happen to be specific meanwhile I was able to play through re4 remake, ffvii remake,and uncharted 4 in their entirety with no issue, and even an hour or 2 in cyberpunk. The thing that in common these games have that the problem happens in is they're all on game pass and installed to my main ssd, where as my steam games are installed on a separate ssd and as of yet this problem hasn't occurred while playing steam games

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023
Also I got some hwinfo64 logs if anyone is willing to take a look at only thing I saw right before it happened is the power usage on core 0 spiked dramatically right at the end when my pc shut off