[SOLVED] PC Shuts off only when gaming

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
Lately I've been experiencing random shutdowns of my PC when starting a game (Specifically CoD: Warzone Modern Warfare and Survarium). Until a couple of days ago, i had no problems whatsoever, when all of a sudden this happens. When I use the PC for browsing, download images, videos, movies runs as always. I suspect a PSU failure, also because when i shut it down, the power button doesn't work and I have to fiddle with it and the PSU switch. I tried to switch power cables, to plug it directly to the wall instead of the UPS unit, change the graphic card cable but nothing seems to work. I also checked my Windows Event Viewer (i'm no expert though) and i saw this Kernel-Power error 41, which made me think more of the PSU saying goodbye. Also noted, i never had any kind of errors or BSOD and we excluded the overheating problem, at least of the CPU/GPU units. My PC specs are the Following:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B450-Plus
Graphic Card: AMD Radeon RX 570 (VRAM 8192Mb)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G With Radeon Vega Graphics
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W
RAM: 16 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4
I don't remember the HDD. I'm trying to be as sure as possible of what to do before I fry my PC. I was planning to do a format, but seems pointless if the problem is the PSU, so I wanted some tips before doing anything. Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: I switched my Graphic Card to a slightly older one and seems to run fine. Could the recent Radeon update caused some malfunctions?

Last edited:
Solution
Also lots of people are saying AMD gpus like yours have driver issues so you probably want to update your driver if you haven't already and if you have well then you would have to wait for amd to release a new one. if you have all these symptoms (down below) then you probably have a driver issue.

• Crashing in-game.
  • Losing video signal to displays in-game.
  • Card not boosting to high clocks in some games.
  • Artefacts at higher framerates.
  • GPU scaling not working.
  • Stuttering.
  • Screen flickering.
  • Enhanced Sync causing freezing in some games and tearing in others.
What youre describing points at the PSU most likely being the problem. Gaming causes the cpu and gpu to work hard, drawing more power. You error shows that the fauly was also due to power. I suspect the other gpu you put in draws less power than the 570, and is enough of a drop that the psu can cope.
Try another quality psu
Review:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020
Also lots of people are saying AMD gpus like yours have driver issues so you probably want to update your driver if you haven't already and if you have well then you would have to wait for amd to release a new one. if you have all these symptoms (down below) then you probably have a driver issue.

• Crashing in-game.
  • Losing video signal to displays in-game.
  • Card not boosting to high clocks in some games.
  • Artefacts at higher framerates.
  • GPU scaling not working.
  • Stuttering.
  • Screen flickering.
  • Enhanced Sync causing freezing in some games and tearing in others.

Solution

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
I don't know how much power my PC consumes, but when i built it i got a 750w PSU and it is overkill for my hardware (i can mount 2 more HDDs and another graphic card if i want). Anyway, as I stated in the Edit, changing my Graphic Card resolved the problem, but I still have a doubt: Was my Graphic Card busted or could've been a faulty driver? I've had problems with faulty driver witrh my old PC, but that was Win7 after the stoppage of the support so i blame Windows for that. During normal usage with my previous graphic card i had no issues whatsoever, using chrome, watching videos, music, movies, images not even dead pixels nor graphic glitches (this makes me doubt that is actually busted), but few seconds in-game and PC shuts down...Amd to answer random_apple_hater, i had none of those symptoms. The PC simply shutted off with no flickering, artifacts or stuttering whatsoever.