Pc shuts off randomly and won't start

Jak_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hi, all.
Over the past week or so, my pc will shut off for no reason, same as it would if you pulled the plug on it. This will happen randomly, sometimes after a few hours of gaming, sometimes not long after boot, with only the programs that boot with the computer running (Discord, origin, steam and that stuff) Once it's off it will turn on for a second or 2 before the same thing happening again. It won't turn on properly for 1-30 mins, after which it's fine.

I initially thought of 4 potential problems, and was wondering if you guys could help me solve this.

1st. I installed a new Gpu last month, so thought this may be drawing too much power but I doubt this as it doesn't always happen during gaming and can happen at min load

2nd, I thought a component could be overheating, but as I have said the problem can even occur at min load. My Cpu is an 9590, and is paired with a H80i GT but I still rarely see this get above 45 degrees.

3rd, my Psu is around 3 years old and is a corsair 850w, so I'm not sure if my pc could be asking too much of the Psu or not.

4th. I live in a Victorian house and my room only has 2 power outlets on opposite sides, so my pc is plugged in to an extension lead. The extension lead is also used to power my monitor, alarm clock, USB splitter, and multiple chargers. I have had all of these and my pc running at the same time, many times with no problem, but since I upgraded my Gpu, could it be drawing too much power from 1 socket?

Asus 990fx extreme6
Corsair 850w
AMD FX9590
ADATA SU800 SSD
16gb Kingston ddr3 1600mhz
Palit Gtx 1060
Nzxt s340( only 2 intake fans 2 outtake fans, but like I said cooling doesn't seem to be the issue, but I'm no expert)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Solution
1st. I installed a new Gpu last month, so thought this may be drawing too much power but I doubt this as it doesn't always happen during gaming and can happen at min load

No that wouldn't be it - the 10 series GPUs definitely don't use as much power as previous generations did.

2nd, I thought a component could be overheating, but as I have said the problem can even occur at min load. My Cpu is an 9590, and is paired with a H80i GT but I still rarely see this get above 45 degrees.

Honestly the problem is most likely the 9590 - it's essentially a factory overclocked FX-8350 and is known to be a very finicky beast when it comes to cooling and power.

3rd, my Psu is around 3 years old and is a corsair 850w, so I'm...

g-unit1111

Titan

No that wouldn't be it - the 10 series GPUs definitely don't use as much power as previous generations did.

Honestly the problem is most likely the 9590 - it's essentially a factory overclocked FX-8350 and is known to be a very finicky beast when it comes to cooling and power.

3rd, my Psu is around 3 years old and is a corsair 850w, so I'm not sure if my pc could be asking too much of the Psu or not.

Possible but not likely. There's reasons why it could be and the age of the PSU is definitely a cause for concern but if it's a high end unit like a Corsair HX or AX then you should be good. TX you might be fine, but anything less and I would look at replacing. The 9590 requires a lot of power. And I do mean a lot.

4th. I live in a Victorian house and my room only has 2 power outlets on opposite sides, so my pc is plugged in to an extension lead. The extension lead is also used to power my monitor, alarm clock, USB splitter, and multiple chargers. I have had all of these and my pc running at the same time, many times with no problem, but since I upgraded my Gpu, could it be drawing too much power from 1 socket?

No, that definitely wouldn't be it. It is definitely right to be worried but honestly that's about the last place I would look as the source of your problems.

Solution

sabaku

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
I'm having a similar issue, i just put in a new 850w power supply, threw in a few new case fans. Same deal, boots windows, loads start up programs and poops out. Won't turn on for more than a few seconds after than, gotta let it sit and try again.