Question PC shuts off randomly under minimal load ?

Jun 25, 2022
My fiancé’s PC was built earlier this year and worked perfectly until just about a week ago. All of a sudden it started shutting off during games and now it shuts off even when he’s just surfing the web or idling. We’ve reached our limit trying to figure out what it is on our own so I wanted to put it out there and see what others have to say. Here’s a link to the parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3mLCyK

At first we thought it may be the GPU, since it seemed to be working pretty hard, but after sitting on that thought and having the PC shut down after doing literally nothing we started thinking it may be the PSU and that maybe we got a faulty one or the recent power surge fried it in some way. On a few occasions, the PC would even turn off within milliseconds of lighting up. We’re on our way to pick up a new PSU. Will update.

Nov 20, 2021
Overkill system for what your requirements or purpose.
First of all, is your fiance a gamer or just a regular user surfing the net and watching video on line?
Second, I do not recommend overclocking cpu. If you are not a hardcore gamer planning to overclock your CPU, why buy a CPU with overclocking? The standard CPU without the "K" is sufficient enough. Adding up the cost of your CPU and the thermal solution is like purchasing the i7 12th gen CPU without the overclocking.
Third, beside the cost, I do not see any advantage of purchasing 12th gen CPU and motherboard, when the 11th gen CPU and motherboard is more than sufficient to meet your needs.
To trouble shoot your problem, remove all other drives other than the "C" drive and DVD drive.
Remove the Video card, use the on board video on the motherboard.
Install a new power supply, 400w is sufficient enough.
Do a clean installation of WIN 10 pro then see if it crashes.

Jun 25, 2022
Overkill system for what your requirements or purpose.
First of all, is your fiance a gamer or just a regular user surfing the net and watching video on line?
Second, I do not recommend overclocking cpu. If you are not a hardcore gamer planning to overclock your CPU, why buy a CPU with overclocking? The standard CPU without the "K" is sufficient enough. Adding up the cost of your CPU and the thermal solution is like purchasing the i7 12th gen CPU without the overclocking.
Third, beside the cost, I do not see any advantage of purchasing 12th gen CPU and motherboard, when the 11th gen CPU and motherboard is more than sufficient to meet your needs.
To trouble shoot your problem, remove all other drives other than the "C" drive and DVD drive.
Remove the Video card, use the on board video on the motherboard.
Install a new power supply, 400w is sufficient enough.
Do a clean installation of WIN 10 pro then see if it crashes.
He is a gamer which is why we went for newer parts. If it were up to me I probably would’ve gone with a more modest build such as my own but he had a higher budget so wanted to make use of it. I went ahead and installed a new PSU (Corsair RM750) for him and so far it’s been working like normal. Chose that specific PSU because it’s the same one I have and it has been very good to me. Don’t wanna say we’re out of the woods yet but I feel hopeful. If the problem comes back I’ll try your additional troubleshooting methods. Thank you!