Question PC shuts off randomly.

FranticFicus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Alright so PC build is ROUGHLY a year old. The following problem has persisted since I built it, yes, I'm lazy and I def paid for it recently. I believe this issue killed my last MOBO. It has been replaced for a couple weeks and the problem has just started to occur again. This is not abnormal for my issue, I can go quite some time w/o a problem but it seems to always return. Issue is as follows, PC will sometimes just shut off w/o warning. No performance drops, freezing etc. just boom off. however, the mobo rgb/lights, power light and GPU rgb will stay on, keyboard rgb as well. It will not respond to pressing the power button. I'll have to toggle the PSU switch/unplug it, let it sit for a few min and toggle/replug it to get it to turn back on. My temperatures have seemed fine throughout. I've done my fair share of research, I'm FAIRLY certain it's a PSU problem. I've seen enough posts around the web of people having the same PSU I do and describing the same or similar problem. Should be noted that it only seems to shut off during gaming.

My specs are as follows.

CPU : Ryzen 3700x

GPU: MSI gaming trio rtx 2080 super

New Mobo: Asus X570 Tuf Gaming plus wifi (Old mobo was Msi b450 tomahawk max)

RAM: 2x16 GB Gskill Ripjaws V

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 Inch 2 TB SATA

SSD: Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCle M.2 2280

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W 80 Plus Gold.

Posting here to gather some thoughts or perhaps potential issues I have not thought about. Thanks for your time.

FranticFicus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
is the bios on the latest and turned CSM Off?
Armoury Crate shows no new bios available. Unless I need to download the BIOS for armoury crate to recognize it? Admittedly don't know alot about BIOS things. I know i'm on version 3602. Had to enable CSM, wouldn't recognize SSD or HDD otherwise. Not sure if CSM matters all that much though?

Armoury Crate shows no new bios available. Unless I need to download the BIOS for armoury crate to recognize it? Admittedly don't know alot about BIOS things. I know i'm on version 3602. Had to enable CSM, wouldn't recognize SSD or HDD otherwise. Not sure if CSM matters all that much though?
I've seen that some RTX Card wont boot or wont work properly while CSM on but thats motherboard/gpu issues on some brands, so if it helps then yeah. Using UEFI only bios sometimes wouldnt recognize the boot drive if it was previously installed on CSM/Legacy for some reason, basically if you use UEFI the best partition for both of your drives are GPT.

Well just try to update to the latest bios (since amd always patch up problems in the latest AGESA mostly) and try to turn csm off and see what happens.

Also try to install the latest amd chipset driver, and do a DDU to uninstall the gpu driver and reinstall the latest gpu driver.

FranticFicus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
I've seen that some RTX Card wont boot or wont work properly while CSM on but thats motherboard/gpu issues on some brands, so if it helps then yeah. Using UEFI only bios sometimes wouldnt recognize the boot drive if it was previously installed on CSM/Legacy for some reason, basically if you use UEFI the best partition for both of your drives are GPT.
Yeah when i switched from the dead mobo to the new one it wouldn't recognize my drives until i turned on CSM and switched things into legacy mode. I'll look into that RTX card thing myself here in a second. Haven't heard of that issue before.

FranticFicus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
If you have to power-cycle the PSU to get it to turn on again, it means one of its protections got tripped and locked it out until fully power-cycled.

Either a component is setting the fault condition, the PSU itself is faulty or too sensitive.
Yeah, i've read that in some of my digging. I've got a new PSU on order so i'm hoping and praying that'll solve the issue. Given the current pricing of computer parts i'm screwed if it's anything more than the PSU.

FranticFicus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
What really Irks me is how random it seems to be, at least until it starts occurring then it's frequent. For instance yesterday, the first time it has happened with the new mobo. I was playing HumanKind for like....6hours straight. No problems. Then suddenly it shuts off. I cycle power, and go back to playing. Within an 45 min it happens again. Booted back up after cycle. Waited awhile before playing anything, tried humankind again. and it happens once more.

InvalidError

Titan
If the PC randomly shuts down more frequently once it has had time to warm up, it could just be the PSU becoming more sensitive to something once it has had time to heat-soak. It could also be a heat-dependent intermittent fault elsewhere such as a cracked ceramic capacitor shorting out from thermal expansion.

FranticFicus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
If the PC randomly shuts down more frequently once it has had time to warm up, it could just be the PSU becoming more sensitive to something once it has had time to heat-soak. It could also be a heat-dependent intermittent fault elsewhere such as a cracked ceramic capacitor shorting out from thermal expansion.
hmm. okay. thanks for the insight. should prob mention after the Humankind attempts i played some League of Legends with no problems occuring. Obviously league doesn't take much to run, though at this point i'm unsure if that matters.

InvalidError

Titan
hmm. okay. thanks for the insight. should prob mention after the Humankind attempts i played some League of Legends with no problems occuring. Obviously league doesn't take much to run, though at this point i'm unsure if that matters.
Less demanding game = less power draw, less stress on components, less heat in general, and less chance of triggering heat-related issues.

Falls within expectations.