Question PC shuts off randomly ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 31, 2022
Specs (Before Upgrades)

https://www.newegg.com/ibuypower-extreme-trace-940i/p/N82E16883227877

Specs (After Upgrades)

i7-8700
PRIME H310-PLUS
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 32GB (2x16GB)
BitFenix Formula 80 Plus Gold 750w
RX 580 8GB
(Same Case)
(Same Storage)
Arctic Silver 5

-----------------------

So the story is that before the upgrades; about a year ago I started having random shutdowns when launching a game, editing, watching youtube, really just anything in general (by shutdown I mean the system instantly shuts off completely and comes back on a few seconds later), and it got progressively worse over time (it happened more often). About two months ago I was tired of it and got an EVGA 500w 80+ White to replace my PSU (to replace the PSU from the original prebuilt) as I was told by many people that was the problem; Well that did not fix it. On March 17, 2022, I got new ram, BitFenix PSU, thermal paste as it had not had new paste applied to it for four years (yes I cleaned out the case), finally a GPU. All is good for the next 2 weeks then today I start having the same problem.

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: After the EVGA PSU didn't work I was told to replace the other components that I mentioned as well, so I went along and did it as I wanted those upgrades for a while anyway.

EDIT 2:

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0402, 3/19/2018
I am populating both DIMM slots on the motherboard.
Windows Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
I have manually reinstalled all relevant drivers.

EDIT 3: I have reinstalled Windows.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I really REALLY do not want to shell out any more money as this attempt to repair has already cost me over $400.

Here is the event viewer log as well:

Event Viewer Image

If any of you can help me fix this I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
How do you normally shutdown the system?

I am seeing numerous and varying errors which, to me anyway, is an indication of power related problems.

And can likewise be caused by not allowing Windows to properly shutdown via the Shutdown menu /icon.

What to do:

Power down, unplug open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Refer to the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual to ensure that all connections are correct.

Also verify that those connections along with card seatings, RAM, and jumpers are all fully and firmly in place.

= = = =

I also noted a number of permissions errors.

If you have been moving things about then the necessary permissions may have been lost.

Or possibly corrupted by the unexpected shutdowns etc..

It may become necessary to uninstall the various games etc. in order to get back to a stable build.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" again to clean up system files.

Reboot.

Once the system is stable then reinstall the games one by one and allow time between re-installs.

Take your time and be methodical.

Mar 31, 2022
How do you normally shutdown the system?

I am seeing numerous and varying errors which, to me anyway, is an indication of power related problems.

And can likewise be caused by not allowing Windows to properly shutdown via the Shutdown menu /icon.

What to do:

Power down, unplug open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Refer to the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual to ensure that all connections are correct.

Also verify that those connections along with card seatings, RAM, and jumpers are all fully and firmly in place.

= = = =

I also noted a number of permissions errors.

If you have been moving things about then the necessary permissions may have been lost.

Or possibly corrupted by the unexpected shutdowns etc..

It may become necessary to uninstall the various games etc. in order to get back to a stable build.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" again to clean up system files.

Reboot.

Once the system is stable then reinstall the games one by one and allow time between re-installs.

Take your time and be methodical.

I shutdown the computer clicking the "shutdown" button after pressing the Windows button. I do sometimes run "shutdown -s -t XXXX" in cmd so it can shutdown on its own, lets say downloading something on steam overnight and around the time the download gets done, the pc shuts off so I am not wasting power. I do not do this all the time nowadays, but sometimes.

I have done everything besides "dism" as it does not do anything by itself in cmd.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/913839108495912981/964195376322216046/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/913839108495912981/964195543960141874/unknown.png

Mar 31, 2022
I was talking to a friend and they said it may be the motherboard as I do not use a surge protector, what are the chances in this as my home power does go out very often. Maybe two times a month on average?

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following command line work?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Reference:

https://www.minitool.com/news/use-dism-restorehealth-command-windows.html

If not what error messages or pop-up windows, if any, appear.

= = = =

A surge protector does not prevent power outages. It protects against potentially damaging power spikes but only to a point. Surge protectors are designed to absorb excess power measured in Joules. Each "hit" reduces the protection: could be a few bigger hits or quite a number of smaller hits. After absorbing that amount of energy the surge protector is no longer effective.

For power outage protection you need a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). A UPS is intended to provide some limited amount of power long enough for you to properly shut down the system. A few minutes at best for most requirements.

Mar 31, 2022
Does the following command line work?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Reference:

https://www.minitool.com/news/use-dism-restorehealth-command-windows.html

If not what error messages or pop-up windows, if any, appear.

= = = =

A surge protector does not prevent power outages. It protects against potentially damaging power spikes but only to a point. Surge protectors are designed to absorb excess power measured in Joules. Each "hit" reduces the protection: could be a few bigger hits or quite a number of smaller hits. After absorbing that amount of energy the surge protector is no longer effective.

For power outage protection you need a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). A UPS is intended to provide some limited amount of power long enough for you to properly shut down the system. A few minutes at best for most requirements.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/913839108495912981/964279682478534656/unknown.png

I was just wondering if maybe my motherboard or something could be damaged from surges?

Ralston18

Titan
Perhaps.

Overall though, I would expect that file corruption is a more likely culprit. If Windows and/or any open apps are unable to properly shutdown and do their "housecleaning" then there can be any number of varying problems.

Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that could provide additional information about what all may be happening.

Clicking any given entry can provide more details. The details may or may not be helpful.