Question PC shuts off suddenly and won't turn on for a couple hours

michaelru

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hey there,
My build is quite old, bought it in January 2012 but it still works great:
-I5 2500k (was overclocked for the first 4 years of its life, now stock)
-Gigabyte Z77p-D3 that i bought from slightly used from Aliexpress 2 and a half years ago when my previous MOBO died(z68a-d3h-b3)
-2*4gb G.skill 1333mhz ram
-gigabyte GTX570
-Seasonic 620W S12II 80+ bronze
-A couple of WD HDD's
-less than a year old Crucial SSD

So a couple of days ago the PC shut down suddenly (like it lost power) and wouldn't turn back on, no lights would turn on and the fans didn't spin up, occasionally the fans and lights do turn on but for less than a second.
I disconnected all non essential hardware (drives, GPU, and all connected peripherals) and still nothing worked.
I tried moving the RAM sticks around and even took them out- still no power.
At this point i connected a different PSU- Still nothing.
After a few hours i came back to try again, connected the PSU, GPU, drives and RAM and voila- the PC boots up, the happiness was short lived tho as it died again after 15 minutes.
So what happens is the PC works for anywhere between 10 minutes and 2 hours after that it dies and doesnt power on for a couple hours.
I checked the power button with a Voltmeter and it's fine, I also unplugged the button from the MOBO while the PC was on and it still shut down.
Tried jumping the PSU and it works.
The CPU temp a minute before one of the shut-downs was around 40C (28C ambient room temp) and the CPU backplate isn't hot at all.
So what i'm left with is probably another MOBO failure.
Any suggestions before i chuck it in the bin and get a new MOBO+CPU+RAM?
Thanks! :)

PS- what's up with Gigabyte motherboards?

Last edited:

michaelru

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
The funny thing is the PC works fine now and i didn't do anything to it :??:
I guess i'll keep using it till it dies, at least it chose a good time to break, just in time for 3rd Gen Ryzen :D