[SOLVED] PC Shuts Off When Starting Up a Game

lumpywiggler

Honorable
May 27, 2013
So, every time that I start up a game my PC shuts off without notice. No blue screen or anything, just powers down immediately. There are LEDs on my case fans and those shut off, but the power LED on the button stays on. If I try to press the power button to turn it back on, it won’t start up. So I have to switch the PSU off, then back on, then click the power button to get it to boot up again. This happens, without fail, EVERY time that I load a game, as soon as it hits the title screen. This is a new build, just built it less than a week ago, but I had been playing games on it since I built it. Then, yesterday it started doing this and I am unable to get it to play a game without it shutting off. I’m also worried that I’ll damage something if I keep testing to see if it’ll shut off.

I did a stress test and monitored the temperatures, the CPU didn’t exceed 70 C and the GPU didn’t exceed 37 C. So, I don’t think it’s an overheating problem. I’m not sure if it might be the PSU or if I potentially got a bad GPU that’s causing problems.

Note: The PSU and the SSD/HDD were ripped from my old build.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: NVidia MSI GTX 1660 Ventus XS OC
MoBo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W
RAM: Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 3200
Samsung EVO SSD and Western Digital HDD

Solution
I mean, that was my first thought seeing as I ripped it from a 7 year old build. I just want to make sure before I go out and buy a new PSU. I wouldn’t want to find out that it’s the GPU that I could exchange if it’s the problem.

The CX 650 is a fine budget PSU. Not a world-beater, but it's safe.

In any case, the TR2 is a pretty lousy PSU, so I'd recommend replacing it even if you weren't having problems. So I wouldn't worry about the chance that it's not the PSU. If it's the GPU, you'll still be able to RMA it.
D

Deleted member 14196

get a good quality psu dude, it is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT component in a system, yet most people cheap out and then cry when their hardware gets fried when it fails or it can't power all their stuff properly.

it reminds me of Tires for a car. lots of folks buy cheap, then cry when bad things happen. it's the most important thing you got on a car, your ONLY friction point, never skimp on psu or tires.

lumpywiggler

Honorable
May 27, 2013
get a good quality psu dude, it is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT component in a system, yet most people cheap out and then cry when their hardware gets fried when it fails or it can't power all their stuff properly.

it reminds me of Tires for a car. lots of folks buy cheap, then cry when bad things happen. it's the most important thing you got on a car, your ONLY friction point, never skimp on psu or tires.

Is 80+ Bronze good enough? Or do I need to go for 80+ gold?

I’m thinking of this one:
Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020103-NA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B72W1VA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EgAqDb0C7G3ER

D

Deleted member 14196

bronze is good enough, that's just the Efficiency of the PSU. the higher you go, the more efficient the psu is under load., gold is best but not necessary. Other psu guru's here can tell you if the CX series is good or not, I typically stick to SeaSonic and EVGA brands.

from this link, it doesn't look like the CX is considered good
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Reactions: gn842a

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I mean, that was my first thought seeing as I ripped it from a 7 year old build. I just want to make sure before I go out and buy a new PSU. I wouldn’t want to find out that it’s the GPU that I could exchange if it’s the problem.

In any case, the TR2 is a pretty lousy PSU, so I'd recommend replacing it even if you weren't having problems. So I wouldn't worry about the chance that it's not the PSU. If it's the GPU, you'll still be able to RMA it.

Solution

lumpywiggler

Honorable
May 27, 2013

Thanks for your help. Just picked up that PSU and will update if it fixes my problem.