PC shuts off when under load in games and won't boot up unless forced powered off then on

Feb 13, 2021
Please stick to 1 thread
About 2 months ago I over clocked my PC and then last week I got the new windows update, which then started to put the PC into a boot loop when I first booted it up which I was able to correct and reinstall windows, however a new problem has come up where as soon as the GPU is under the slightest amount of strain when playing games such as Rainbow 6 siege, the GPU fan speeds up to what sounds like more than it was built to do and then my PC freezes and then shuts off, however it doesn't power off all the way but won't boot back up unless I force power it off and turn it on. I’ve reinstalled windows, deleted all my old files, downloaded a game ready driver, reset the overclocked settings back to default, but none of these solutions have worked. The PC is a custom build I did 3 years ago and I ran Warzone, Cold-war, Rainbow-6-seige, and Forza Horizon 4 on it with ease. The only recent change it has had is a replacement for the case fans, a replacement GPU fan, and I also moved the RAM stick over a slot. I powered off the PC completely from the shutoff button on the windows home screen and then used the switch on the back of the case to completely cut off all power from the system so there isn't any problems with the RAM being disconnected when there was power to the system. If anyone has any solutions or idea of what the problem is please let me know.

Operating system specs:
Windows 64-bit operating system
x64-based processor
20H2 version(installed 2/12/21)

Full system hardware specs:
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 mini 3gb(problem may lie here but unsure)
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-E Gaming
CPU: Intel I5-8500 4.10GHz
RAM: 8gb single stick
Deep-cool CPU tower cooler
500gb SSD
PSU: Corsair 600 watt (could be the other source of the problem but unsure)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
New update, I just ran a GPU power stress test with OCCT and it crashed my PC like it does loading into games. Does this single out any problems yet?

Feb 13, 2021
This problem just started about 2 weeks ago after I had installed the new Windows update. When the PC is under the slightest amount of strain when playing games such as Rainbow 6 siege, the GPU fan speeds up to what sounds like more than it was built to do and then my PC freezes and then shuts off, however it doesn't power off all the way but won't boot back up unless I force power it off and turn it on. I’ve reinstalled windows, deleted all my old files, downloaded a game ready driver, reset the overclocked settings back to default, but none of these solutions have worked. The PC is a custom build I did 3 years ago and I ran Warzone, Cold-war, and Rainbow-6-seige on it with ease. The only recent change it has had is a replacement for the case fans, a replacement GPU fan, and I also moved the RAM stick over a slot. When I did all of this I powered off the PC completely from the shutoff button on the windows home screen and then used the switch on the back of the case to completely cut off all power from the system so there isn't any problems with the RAM being disconnected when there was power to the system. I have ran stress tests and the only thing I should note is when I did a power stress test on the GPU, it froze my PC then shut off like it does while trying to play games. Hopefully this is a problem with my PSU but it looks like its just the GPU.

Operating system specs:
Windows 64-bit operating system
x64-based processor
20H2 version(installed 2/12/21)

Full system hardware specs:
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 mini 3gb(problem may lie here but unsure)
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z370-E Gaming
CPU: Intel I5-8500 4.10GHz
RAM: 8gb single stick
Deep-cool CPU tower cooler
500gb SSD
PSU: Corsair RM550 X (could be the other source of the problem but unsure)