Question PC shuts off while playing games, but some components are still on ?

Nov 25, 2021
Out of no where my PC has started to shut off when I'm playing certain games. I didn't make any modifications or anything recently or even change the position of my PC. When it occurs, everything turns off but I see the lights on my RAM and keyboard are still on. I noticed the lights on my motherboard are not on as well as the RGB strip I have connected to it. I can also see that the screen on my AIO is on but it's very dim and it's stuck on the last thing it showed. All of the fans turn off and it also doesn't respond when I click my power button, so to turn it off I have to switch the power supply off. I've done stress tests on my CPU and GPU and the PC hasn't crashed even when those are both at 100% load. As for temps, my PC never goes over 70C. After restarting, it boots up like normal but there are no dump files and the reliability history only says Windows wasn't shut down correctly. I've gotten "LiveKernelEvent" "144" "USBHUB3_DEVICE_ENUMERATION_FAILURE" as a hardware error a couple of times after it crashes but it doesn't always show up. The only things I have plugged into my PC are my keyboard, mouse, and mic and have never seen this error until after the crashes started. I looked up solution for the error and did all of them and unfortunately nothing worked. I even did a hard reset and it still crashed after that. I'm starting to think it's my motherboard but I'd like to get as much feedback as possible before going out and buying something new.

The last time it crashed, I was playing Genshin and saw no crazy temps or high usage from any components. I've never had a problem while playing games before and was able to play for hours without any issue.

I brought it to MicroCenter to see if they could find the issue but surprisingly they couldn't even get it to crash. I was able to get a video of it crashing while recording Task Manager and Hardware Monitor on my second monitor while playing a game, so I'll be getting in contact with them and showing them that.

All of my PC components are technically less than a year old (I was buying parts since Nov 2020 but didn't build the PC until January 2021 when I found a GPU)
Here are my parts:
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • EVGA GTX 1660 Super SC Ultra
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 2x8 3200
  • EVGA 650W BQ 80+ PSU
  • NZXT Kraken Z53
  • Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB
  • WD 2TB SATA Hard Drive
I would greatly appreciate any feedback to try and diagnose the problem :)
Thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY