PC shuts off with a power cut (with UPS)

Tanul Tewari

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I have a good branded UPS 650W. Whenever there is a power cut my PC shuts off if I'm playing games like FIFA 13, Crysis 3, etc. If not playing games then it remains on.

Specs-
AMD FX-8350
Gigabyte 970-DS3
Seasonic 520W PSU
Sapphire 7770 1GB DDR5
Kingston HyperX 8GB Ram
WD 1 TB Black HDD
LG DVD RW
(80mm fans -4)

I earlier had a Corsair VS 650 because I thought the problem might be my PSU, but Season 520w couldn't bring me any luck.

Help me with what might be the problem and appropriate solution.

makkem

Distinguished
HI
It looks to be your UPS not the PC thats doing this.
You will be using the most power on your PC when playing games and it looks like this is overloading the UPS and it is shutting down.
However thats a good size of UPS and it really should not be doing that.
Is the UPS 650W or 650VA if it is VA then it would only handle about 400W and may be being overloaded.
What else is plugged into the UPS ,it is good practice to only have essential items plugged in like the PC and the Monitor,and not the printer or
other peripherals.By unplugging non essential items you may stop the UPS shutting down.

Tanul Tewari

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Sorry, actually it is 625VA. Only my CPU is connected to the UPS, not even my monitor. Can this be because of an overheating graphic card? My Sapphire 7770 1GB reaches almost 85 degrees.

makkem

Distinguished
Well, even using the Asus PSU calculator (which tends to overestimate) you are well within bounds with your PSU.
Your GPU is quite hot but not excessive and would not cause this problem.
It could be that the UPS when under heavy load is struggling to maintain the designed voltage and is shutting down due to under voltage protection.
This could be down to the internal battery in the UPS starting to fail.
If the UPS is more than a couple of years old I would suspect the battery.

Tanul Tewari

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

My UPS must be around 6 months old, I have tried it with another brand's 625VA UPS but still the same result. So are you sure it's the UPS?

Morning! There is a good chance that the battery(s) within the UPS has reached the end-of-life and cannot hold enough amperage, even when fully charged, to run the PC. I had this happen earlier this year.
Check with the UPS manufacture web site to see if its battery can be replaced and how many it takes: one of mine took two the other took 1. It was considerably less expensive to replace the batteries then buy a new one, and it was fairly simple. I found replacement batteries at Newegg, but the manufacture should have them, too.
One last note, I am running a similar system, perhaps a little more demanding, but on the recommendation of a local computer tech (competent one) I use 1000VA UPS's; they give me an average run time on power failure of 5-10minutes. Your's might be underpowered for the system WHILE gaming; try a 900-1000VA.

What UPS do you have? Was the other UPS the same model? The batteries should be fine after only 6 months, but your UPS may be too weak for that system.

Tanul Tewari

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Good Morning! By the way it's 20:30 here in India haha. Anyways, mine is just 625VA, so need to try it with a 900-1000VA.
Thanks for your response.

Tanul Tewari

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

The first one was an Intex one, the one I'm currently using is Microtek.