[SOLVED] PC Shutsdown Randomly when playing High demanding Games.

Jun 6, 2021
Hi Good day, this my first post here, I have a bit of trouble and I tried monitoring it but as of now I still don't know how to troubleshoot this. This is the first time I encountered this problem, I built my pc around January, no problems since then.

I'll list down my Specs first.

750W PSU Cooler Master MWE Bronze
Motherboard: B450M Steel Legend
Processor: R5 2600
Cooling for Processor: Dark Flash TR240 240mm AIO
GPU : RTX 3070 Palit Jetstream
16GB of RAM

Problem: PC Shutsdown with No BSOD, No message, . You can't press the power button, only way to reset the whole unit is reseting the UPS and turning the power button on again

Here is the results of me trying to monitor it.
It doesn't shutdown when I'm doing
  • Normal Tasks/Browsing Net ETC.
  • Drawing Software: Clip Studio Paint.
  • 3D Software Maya Blender
Games -
- Valorant/CSGO

It only shutsdown when I play Apex Legends or any high spec demanding games, the other game that I tried is Far Cry 5

Temperature

I used MSI After Burner/HWMonitor to Monitor the temps
Normal Tasks
34C - 43C on CPU
36C-38C on GPU
// Concluded it doesn't shuts down on Normal Tasks such as browsing etc,

Games
I tried playing a couple of games with Valorant and for sure It didn't made the pc shutdown/
Valorant
50C-60C GPU
42-44C CPU
played a couple of games and sure is it didn't made it shutdown..

Apex Legends
I played this game alot and I didn't have issues up until to this day.
Before it shutdown I manage to monitor it
GPU was 80C-84C when it shutdown, also CPU was somewhere 42-44C too when I monitored this.
On Cold Boot, my PC can last atleast 3 games of Arenas before it can go.
After Reset(After it shuts down) It can only go atleast at best 2 games on Arenas.

Far Cry 5
It shutdown too, Tempts where somehere 77C-82C but lasted a bit longer than Apex
CPU Tempts around 42-44C

Other Monitoring:

I used OCCT to try and Monitor and try to recreate the problem
on GPU
3D - First test was 10 Min/2nd Test was 10 Min
Concluded it reached the same Tempts 84C-87C but it didn't shutdown my PC
CPU - First test was 30 Min(Cuz I didn't know how to use it at first) but same result it didn't shutdown my PC
Memory - 10 Min Same results it didn't shutdown my PC

What I tried to resolve this:
  • I updated Windows // It still shutdown (Apex Legends)
  • I rolled back my GPU Driver Rolled back from 466.63 to 466.11 // It still shutdown (Apex Legends)

Conclusion
Everything runs fine until you play a heavy demanding game.

I actually don't know whats the problem since everything look normal and not out of the ordinary.
Please let me know if there is things that I can try, so I can find the cause.

Thank you for reading!

Solution
my UPS is really not a brick UPS more of a multiple outlet with a switch (Which where my monitor and Unit is connected to)

Dumb question but am I really purely required to get a brick type voltage regulator for my PC?

If it is just a power strip/'surge protector', that is not a UPS at all...and should not be called one. :) (Any decent UPS with 800 watts capacity would be decent sized)

Regardless of pedigree, name brand, how old it is, etc., it is possible your current PSU is not capable of the current/wattage needs of your current CPU/MB/GPU combo..; try another one of sufficient wattage.... (NOTE: do NOT use/mix modular cables from current PSU with potential replacement!)
Jun 6, 2021
Use MSI Afterburner to reduce the power limit to your GPU by 15%. See if it still shuts down during gameplay.

Update,
MSI After Burner Config
Before Config

Power Limit 100%
Temp Limit 83C

Config Now -15%:

Power Limit 85%
Temp Limit 79C

I played Apex Again after the third Arena Match (during third arena match) It shutdown

I don't get it, It didn't happened like this before just, yesterday..

Edit: Forgot to mention the GPU Temp was 80-82 before it shutdown.

Is it safe to assume it's the PSU?

Update,
MSI After Burner Config
Before Config

Power Limit 100%
Temp Limit 83C

Config Now -15%:

Power Limit 85%
Temp Limit 79C

I played Apex Again after the third Arena Match (during third arena match) It shutdown

I don't get it, It didn't happened like this before just, yesterday..

Edit: Forgot to mention the GPU Temp was 80-82 before it shutdown.

Is it safe to assume it's the PSU?
So it made no difference changing the power limit to the GPU it still shutdown? It could be the PSU, it often is the cause of shutdowns during gameplay, but I would expect it to not shutdown with a reduced power limit so I am not so sure.

If you could borrow another PSU to try that would be good.

Jun 6, 2021
I really assumed this would be a PSU Problem too, worse case I might have to get another 750w PSU. But thank's for the input, right now Im just doing Normal work and it's not showing any signs so I guess that a good sign? (Also I think my Apex addiction is nullified LMAO)

Edit: I might bring this to a repair shop, so they can test since I don't really have a backup unit to test which one works.

Jun 6, 2021
Just 15%? You should've done more than that.
Do -30% and -50%.
I'll actually keep this in mind, I'm just kinda wary cuz I don't want to damage it any further by just playing Apex, but I'll actually try to test run this.

For understanding, does doing this limits the power of GPU? while maximizing Fan? Im sorry for not specifically clearing this since, when I built this I don't really play like high demanding games but just enough to play most games at an optimal quality, like Apex.

Jun 6, 2021
I'd first test it skipping the UPS altogether...

(It's possible the UPS might not be able to adapt to some of the wildly gyrating current requirements during gaming, and, it's a very quick thing you can rule out before worrying about PSUs, etc.)

my UPS is really not a brick UPS more of a multiple outlet with a switch (Which where my monitor and Unit is connected to)

Dumb question but am I really purely required to get a brick type voltage regulator for my PC?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll actually keep this in mind, I'm just kinda wary cuz I don't want to damage it any further by just playing Apex, but I'll actually try to test run this.
Damage what, exactly? That's why the shutdowns are happening; it's a protection mechanism.

For understanding, does doing this limits the power of GPU? while maximizing Fan? Im sorry for not specifically clearing this since, when I built this I don't really play like high demanding games but just enough to play most games at an optimal quality, like Apex.
Yes, it limits the power consumption of the gpu. After all, gaming graphics cards are the most stressful part of the PC a psu has to be able to cope with.
If it's not pulling as much power, the load on the psu is also lessened.

The fans do use a minor amount of the board's total power budget - up to a few watts, nothing serious.

If it is just a power strip/'surge protector', that is not a UPS at all...and should not be called one. :) (Any decent UPS with 800 watts capacity would be decent sized)

Regardless of pedigree, name brand, how old it is, etc., it is possible your current PSU is not capable of the current/wattage needs of your current CPU/MB/GPU combo..; try another one of sufficient wattage.... (NOTE: do NOT use/mix modular cables from current PSU with potential replacement!)

Solution
Jun 6, 2021
Damage what, exactly? That's why the shutdowns are happening; it's a protection mechanism.

Yes, it limits the power consumption of the gpu. After all, gaming graphics cards are the most stressful part of the PC a psu has to be able to cope with.
If it's not pulling as much power, the load on the psu is also lessened.

The fans do use a minor amount of the board's total power budget - up to a few watts, nothing serious.
I see, thank you for clearing that too me ^^, I'll test it again and will update! Thank you very much for the insights

Jun 6, 2021

To Clarify what I needed to do is

Get a UPS (800watt capacity)

and for a potential PSU change. Do I Need to get above 750w? Do you have a recommendation so that I have an idea
my 750W is a coolermaster MWE Bronze which is also non modular. (Is it possible that Cable management can be also a factor?)

And if I change my PSU, I have to use all new cables and not reuse the old ones?

Jun 6, 2021
Update:

So my Neightbor helped me redoing my cable management and turns probablly ventilation issues that caused my pc to shutdown. On other cases he also adviced me to buy a new case thats bigger cuz my current case is a compact darkflash DLM22 Mid tower case. And it was really compact for my GPU to fit.

TLDR:
Ventilation Problem because case is small causing my unit to heat up to shutdown.

Note:
I'll prolly keep monitoring the temps just in case just for additional notes.