PC shutsdown/restarts while playing "intensive games"

playedjuice

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Hello, I have been having this issue for quite some time now. After is started to happen about a week ago, I decided to upgrade my power supply from an EVGA 430W to a EVGA GQ 650W. From what i've read online, the issue should have been the dying/under-powered power supply.
Despite changing the psu, I still have the problem. Though, this problem seems to only happen while playing certain games (Destiny 2, Hellblade:Senua's Sacrifice, and others i cant really remember; I really only play CS:GO and it doesnt happen in that)
My specs:
i7 6700
XFX rx 480
16gb of HyperX DDR4 @ 2133mhz
ADATA Premier SP550
500gb Wester Digital HD
Gigabyte H110m-h

All help is appreciated

*EDIT* Realized I forgot some bits of information
1: Thermals on CPU and GPU are fine
2: When playing the games, the frame rates are fine
3: Started on old rig, which is where old PSU came from.

playedjuice

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

Guessing the one way to test this theory is to put a gpu that hasn't been touched by the old power supply into the rig
....now i have to find one :/

Important to add, the thermals for the gpu seem to be fine, as well as the cpu.

..Or to put your current GPU into another rig just to rule out if the GPU is the issue.

playedjuice

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

Ok, got to put the gpu into a different but similar build. Played Destiny 2 on higher settings than I would normally play on for an hour and nothing happened. Any chance it could be either motherboard or ram?

More likely motherboard than RAM. If a low quality PSU dies it will usually take either mobo or GPU with it, sometimes more parts as well. However, get memtest86 and let it run a full pass or 2, to test if the issue is with the memory.

playedjuice

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

Ok, ran memtest for 3 and a half hours, no errors. Going to assume it's the motherboard. Thanks for the help

UPDATE: Installed new motherboard, game ran for about 5 minutes and then the computer shut off again....dang it
Now Im thinking it could either be the hard drive the games are running off of or the graphics card (may have just been lucky when i was testing it in another computer)

TRENDING THREADS