Question PC shutsdown with M2 drive connected on M2_1 port

Jul 11, 2019
Hi. I have recently purchased 2 WD blue M2 Sata drives. My motherboard is an Asus Prime z370-p.

If i have any of the two new drives connected on the m2_1 port the PC turns on and immediatly turns of again (it keeps doing this by itself). Both drives work percetly on the m2_2 drive.

. I have nothing connected on the Sata G_1 port when trying.
. PCI mode turns on correctly but obviously cant recognize the drive.

Could it be due to a faulty port? Or am i missing something?

PC components:
Motherboard: Asus Prime z370-p
CPU: i7 8700
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR4 @2400MHz x16GB
GPU: GTX 1080
PSU: Sentey Golden Steel Power 1050W

Do you have a storage device connected to the SATA_1 header on the motherboard, or are these M.2 drives the only connected storage devices?

How old is that Sentey unit? Considering the newest review of that unit I can find is from 8 years ago, I'm guessing it's been in service for a good long while?

Why are you trying to turn on PCI mode when both those drives are SATA drives?

Jul 11, 2019
Do you have a storage device connected to the SATA_1 header on the motherboard, or are these M.2 drives the only connected storage devices?

How old is that Sentey unit? Considering the newest review of that unit I can find is from 8 years ago, I'm guessing it's been in service for a good long while?

Why are you trying to turn on PCI mode when both those drives are SATA drives?

There is nothing connected to the SATA_1 header, as mentioned in the OP.
The PSU is 8 month old and its working perfectly when i remove the drive from the m2_1 port, even if connecting more ssds to regular sata ports.
I turned on the PCI mode to check if the port would even detect the drive and it does (i get the warning SATA device conected in PCI mode). I Obviusly got back to SATA mode after testing since the problem was already happening.

Faulty board or faulty drive would be my guess, and since both drives work fine individually on the other slot, I'd say it's a board problem. I can't imagine anything else being a factor aside from a lack of power, which is pretty doubtful.

Does it do this only if both M.2 slots are populated or does it do it no matter what, so long as any drive is in that slot?

Jul 11, 2019
Does it do this only if both M.2 slots are populated or does it do it no matter what, so long as any drive is in that slot?

It happens only when there is a drive connected on that slot.
I imagined it could be the board but wanted to see if there was another possibility. Thanks for the attention mate.